Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Grinnell vs. Techo-Bloc

Hello, all.

I'm considering the build of a new retaining wall and can;t decide on Grinnell materials versus Techo-Bloc. Your opinions are apprecisted.

Thanks,
ZoomFive
Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a perspective on the two product lines for retaining walls?

I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I have never used Grinnell, nor seen there product line but I can say that Techo makes a very nice product. I have used there Mini-Creta wall stones on a number of occasions and they are very nice to work with. I can really compare them to Grinnell, but I would definitely not be hesitant to use Techo.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi ZoomFive-
Here's a couple things to consider when comparing block, not in any particular order:
- Aesthetics (who has the look you like)
- Service (call before you buy and ask a few tech questions and see who gives you the best service)
- Price (more expensive isn't always better)
-Absorption (the denser the block is the less water it will take in-excess moisture leads to excess efflorescence, algae/mold, etc. You can also seal the surface for ultimate protection and moisture barrier)
-Quality control and color

Hope this helps and good luck with your project,
mcornett
Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ha no comparison. If price is not an issue, Techo all the way. Live about 5 miles from the Grinnell plant and have walked through it a few times, used their products, etc. Just have never been happy with them and have heard the same from numerous people. They have some new products and what not so maybe some things have changed, however there still is no comparison in my mind betweent the 2
Old 04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have access to it, use CST Standard Wall Blocks
Old 04-10-2010, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For what it is worth there is no comparison. Grinnell is like the Kia of the block world. It works pretty good, but without the bells and wistles and it wont last as long. I also live near by and have talked with the local rep on many occassions about bringing their products up to a better standard. Bottom line is that they would rather appeal to mass production for commercial applications than create a better product with a higher price tag. Now Techo is the exact opposite. I dont think you will see too many 20K face foot walls going up in Techo. Price reflects these differences. As usual you get what you pay for.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OC makes a good reccomendation, the Standard unit wall is nice and easy to work with. Techo is pricey but very nice, especially the mini creta line(double sided) though in my expierience they aren't kidding about the height limits, they walls tend to roll if you go over, my opinion is that they are a little too narrow to take the height. That aside, stay away from grinnell, I am also close their plant, and I've never been imprssed with their quality. Used to be that you had to literally shim the blocks with pennies or pieces of roofing shingles to get a flat run without waves, they are better, but you've never seen a wall with such an efflouresence issue, they leach lime like nobodies business. If it's a blind wall and nobodies gonna see it I have never had any structural issues.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all on your feedback. Techo is outside of the budget right now when all other elements are factored in.

Is there a comparable better recommended product than the Grinnell Highland 3" and 6" mix?

Zoomfive
Old 06-13-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Grinnell sucks, but his daughter was good when I dated her lol