Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-04-2010, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are the requirements for a trimmer to be considered a commercial unit?

Tomorrow, a friend is coming over to buy a string trimmer from my "collection". The ones I will offer to him start with curved shaft Homelites and go to Shindaiwa 270 with several in-between. He's a homeowner user--probably doesn't appreciate the difference in quality (or price).

I got to thinking about what it takes to make a trimmer a "commercial trimmer"?

Must it be specific brands--Stihl, Shindaiwa, Husqvarna, and I'm sure others have homeowner and commercial units.

Must it have a solid shaft vs flex shaft--some of Echo's highest powered units have flex shafts.

What about engine size--no, lots of really nice 23 & 24 cc commercial units--most all the homeowner units are in the 30 (plus) cc range.

How about bought from a dealer vs big box?? The Echo 210 that ALC-GregH (and many others) likes could have been bought at either place.

If Ryobi made a straight shaft, solid drive shaft, 2 piston rings, full crankshaft engine, good string head, good power-to-weight ratio trimmer, sold at dealers only, would it be accepted as commercial?

No right or wrong answers--your opinions--what does it take???
Old 04-04-2010, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think some of the internal working is what makes it a commercial unit. example: they grade them out A,B and C I belive. the commecial units are rated to last 300 hours and consumer use is 50 hours.

Also the husqvarna 223L trimmer is sold at lowes and the your local dealer and is rated as a consumer unit, yet it has the same cc and head as the 326 commerical unit. the only diferance is a few internal parts.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, no curved shaft units are to be considered commercial units. Units sold at big box stores and the like are not commercial units either. The engine must be powerful enough to cut through weeds knee high and have 2 piston rings, in my opinion. Solid drive shaft isn't a requirement but it is a huge plus and what I prefer. Also, there must not be large amounts of plastic on the unit.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know. I bought both my echo srm210 and my echo blower at Home Depot in 2001-2002?

Still used them solely today. Last week was the first time I cleaned the carb on both units and I did fuel filters. That's about it...I have never winterized them either. I'm about to go redmax trimmer and blower and make these my backups but I couldn't say enough about them.

I don't really care for power in a trimmer. It's all about weight for me. Blowers on the other hand I consider the opposite.
So would I buy echo from Home Depot again? Hell yes.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The one main thing that makes a trimmer "commercial" is how it is built. If it is built to be used for prolonged periods of time with minimal down time, then it is commercial.

It can have any sized engine. It doesn't need to be able to cut through 3 feet for grass/brush...just be able to do the job it was meant to do. Small engine units are meant for light cutting jobs, where as larger engine units are meant for more heavy cutting.

So the main thing is just built for high hour use and to withstand the "commercial" abuse.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-05-2010, 04:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Stay with commercial brands................Troybilt, Weedeater, Homelite, Craftsman and Ryobi are not one of those!!!

Even the bottom line commercial brands still good enough, yes even bought in box store like Echo SRM210 or Husqvarna 125L.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is the Homelite unit being thrown in the mix as educational material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlerockmo View Post
I think the commecial units are rated to last 300 hours and consumer use is 50 hours.
I don't see how Homelite gets theirs rated unless the time it spends on the shelf counts lol
Old 04-05-2010, 04:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What makes a trimmer a commercial trimmer is its part number.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:13 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Is the Homelite unit being thrown in the mix as educational material?

I don't see how Homelite gets theirs rated unless the time it spends on the shelf counts lol
I meant those I named are not commercial!!! I saw Homelite on discontinue sale for $29 in HD a year ago!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is my thought that generally commercial can be distinguished from homeowner by where the recoil is located. Commercial is usually on the end of the engine. You remove 4 screws and it comes off for repair/replacement. The homeowner units tend to place the recoil on the front of the engine where the drive shaft comes out. This placement requires the whole shaft assembly to be removed and then the front cover. Only then can you get to the recoil. If the engine has a clutch sometimes the clutch must be removed before you can get at the recoil assembly. It's a pain in the rear.