Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bought one last fall for leaves,saves a lot of time,raking them off the bed,money well spent,no damage to tailgate.If the load gets hung up on wheel wells(usually when wet) I pull out a handful or so from either side,that does the trick,for dry mulch should work fine,I have a plastic bedliner and 8ft bed, I highly recommend the loadhandler.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like i said some guys have had great luck with them but for what i was using it for it was not worth it.when i had to kill myself to crank it then have to go clean what it left was not worth it to me. but some guys love them maybe they have improved it since when i got mine it was a long time ago and i have since gone with a dump trailer. I guess it's all on what your going to load on it light stuff it would be fine topsoil, dirt not going to work . and how much your going to use it 1 to 5 loads a year makes sense
Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I could see it getting hung up with a bed full of topsoil,but if you position a heavier load only on the fabric it should work;you don't want it jambing up behind the wheel wells.Good inexpensive solution for homeowners ,but a contractor who needs to move a lot of material on a regular basis would be better off with the dump bed insert.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I think an insert for a truck that small would be kind of silly...the load capacity is low enough as it is and I don't think she could justify the cost in any case.

She has 4 acres and a veggie garden and lots and lots of beds...says she does about 15 loads of mulch a year for the beds plus compost for the garden.

Anybody else wanna weigh in?
maybe a bigger truck? 4 acre, 15 loads and a toyota? wtf. Could get a 1/2 ton truck used for what 4-7k? Prob find one with a 2k dump insert already too.

My buddy has one and he loves it/swears by it. Ive never tried it and honestly if i go with anything it'll be dump inserts, dump trailers and dump bodies.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I got the 3000lb model off of craigslist for $60 and I love that thing... Hauled 2 scoops of mulch and 1 scoop of crushed stone and cranked with very little effort. Saved me a lot of time.

Exmark 52" Lazer HP 23hp w/ultravac
Exmark 52" Lazer HP 23hp
Quick 36
Honda 21" push
Toro 21" push
2005 Ford F-150
6.5x16 trailer
Echo SRM260
Echo PAS 260
Echo Back Pack Blower
Echo Handheld Blower
Accelerator Bagger
Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had one for years, I have never had it lock up. A plastic bedliner will work fine. The part that straps to the tailgate will scratch the paint, in my old work truck it,s not an issue. I,m sure you can put some kind of padding under the part that touches. I think purchasing one is a good investment.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks...I think she's gonna get one...for the price it's worth a try I think.