Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat ZT225 / Procat

Hi all, new member here and happy to find you!

I'm looking to buy a ZTR for personal use - I have 6+ acres to maintain and I'm fed up with spending 4+ hours cutting itso time to treat myself!

I have been advised against homeowner units like Toro and had been considering a Ferris IS 1500Z, however I have stumbled across a Bobcat that potentially can give me more for the buck. It's a demonstrator with only 7.3 hours on it, but at the moment the store seems to be having a hard time seeing my position on price (!). I don't want to be unreasonable, and want to build a relationship with the dealer for maintenance, but I also don't want to pay more than I should.

My research suggests that the mower is at least three years old - it's labeled a ZT225, and I believe that these were rebranded as ProCats from 2008 onwards - suggesting that this is 2007 or earlier. Is that correct? Not sure if it makes a difference, but the full model number on the manufacture plate has a D at the end.

For what it's worth the dealer is offering it to me for $9,000 Canadian plus taxes.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The BobCat 2xx series was their main commercial unit for years I think. They came in a 223, 225, and 227(?). Nice machines from all I've read about them. They were first on my list when I went looking for nice ZTR, but at the time, the regional distributor, well, sucked. All the local dealers dropped the line. I'd think that 225 would be a nice unit, despite that it's a 2, or 3 year old model. Is the dealer going to honor the new warranty?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply dbear!

Dealer is prepared to honour the warranty - and with the 5 year / 500 option that works perfectly for me. It's actually the Bobcat regional rep that is being difficult - he's claiming that as this was an $11,000 unit new that $9,000 is a good deal for a 3 year old 'new' machine.

Problem is, with the change in exchange rates since then I was quoted $9,990 for the comparable ProCat. With a little bit of a cash discount I would be a lunatic to buy the 225 at that price. It feels like a great machine, and I have read good things, but it is more mower than I really need so it really only makes sense if I can get it closer to the price of the Ferris.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$11K when it was new? Wow, I was shopping for a good ZTR around that time (might have been '06?), and I think I remember most of the popular, with LCOs, brands and models (Exmark Lazer, Scag Turf Tiger, Ferrirs IS3000(?)) were all in the $8500 to low $9k range (USD). That would mean an exchange rate of like 22% to 30%! I don't recall the rate being anything close to that any time that recently.

In fact, here's an online calculator that can go back 10 years:
Currency Exchange Calculator

Looking at the month of April 2007, the average US to Can dollar rate was only about 1.13. That would, using my numbers, make the original Canadian cost $9.6k to $10.2k. Working it the other way, if it retailed for $11k Canadian, it would have retailed for almost $9.8 USD. Seems quite high to me. Maybe they're quoting MRSP, and not what you could actually buy it for three years ago.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't think the IS1500Z compares directly with the Bob ZT225. IMO and FWIW, the Bob's considerably more mower.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

You are right about the exchange rates, but the issue is that prices take a while to catch up to the exchange rate and you then have to deal with things like import duty on things coming from the US. Same thing is happening now - as I type this the two dollars are effectively on par, but prices are still generally higher for most things here (a friend of mine just priced up a Porsche Boxster and with his options list it came in almost $18,000 more in Canada than in the US).

Because the pricing is coming from the Bobcat dealer rep it likely was MSRP, more ammunition for me (if the dealer ever calls me back with a better offer). The dealer has a spring open house on Thursday so I'm planning on sending my wife with a signed cheque for what I am prepared to pay and wave that under his nose

The Ferris is less tractor - 22hp / 52" vs. 25hp / 61" for a start, smaller capacity pumps, quite a bit slower, etc, etc. The brain says that the Ferris is plenty for what I need, but I also can't help thinking that the ZT225 is the better buy if I can get it closer to the money of the Ferris - at the $9,000 quoted it's going to come out close to $2,000 more by the time I throw mulching kits on them both and then sort out the taxes, and I'm not sure that it's worth that much more (to me). At only a few hundred bucks difference then it probably is - if only for the additional 15 - 20 minutes a week that I get to spend with a beer!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I forgot about all that import tariff crap. Maybe the numbers they're quoting aren't that far off. You'd think they'd be a little more motivated to sell the ZT225 given it's been sitting around for so long. I wonder if the dealer was somehow able to "write it off" of his floor plan so it's not still costing him anything.

As you say, the Ferris would probably be enough for your application, and $2k can buy a whole lotta Blue.

I ended up with a DC Silver Eagle LT2700-60D (entry level commercial unit) for about $6500 for my 3 acre personal use. I couldn't justify the extra $2k for a "full" commercial unit. At the time, it was the most bang for the buck of the units on my short list.

Good luck, and happy hunting...
Old 04-06-2010, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Just to close the loop on this......

Dealer and the Bobcat rep tried to agree on what the ZT225 should be and the best that they could do was C$9,600 taxes in (13%) and delivered, extra for the muching kit.

The dealer was a little disappointed that the rep wouldn't do better so has offered to get me into a Ferris IS1500z 28 / 61 for $8,600 delivered - and that's not a 3 year old demo unit.

Sounds like a no brainer to me!
Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, there you go...Enjoy your new Ferris!