Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2010, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i see you guys dont like the plastic totes but the people selling them say it recirculates like a dishwasher. the pump pulls from the bottom then sends it to the top. why wouldnt this work? im looking to start up and cost is a issue, not knowing what the business will bring. so i can get the totes for free and either build or buy a pump setup from one of the companies that sell the tote system they will sell the system without the tote for 800. i can take the tote and leave it in my pickup and not have to buy a trailer. tell me what you guys think. thanks
2003 scag turf tiger liquid cooled 61
2005 scag tiger cub 48
2007 exmark turf tracer 60 hydro
2006 exmark viking 36 hydro
3 echo trimmers
2 echo backpack blowers
1 redmax extended hedge trimmer
1 stihl hedge trimmer
Old 05-08-2010, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thumbs down Totes are not good

Why i do not like totes even if they are FREE

Because you can not clean them on the inside & in this business you have to clean out your tank every year so no dried up sealer goes through your pump system & clogs every thing.

Because you do not get a good mix with just a pump. You need a hand mixer because you get build up on the sides of the tank & that will peel off & it will cause blockages & clogs. Don't try to put a stick in there & mix!

Because the plastic valve at the bottom of the tank gets stuck & it can crack very easy & if it happends while you have sealer in the tank OMG whatta mess! & waste of money!

Because it makes you look unprofessional & Ungly.

P.s. These are 272 gallons and sealer wieghs 11 lbs per gallon are you sure you want to put that much wieght in your truck. You need a 1-ton for this.

I am buying a tank from a local guy here in Connecticut if you want i can give you his info & you can talk to him. He is very very resonable and a lot cheaper then every one else. He has plastic horizontal tanks & steel tanks with HAND AGITATION he even sells tanks with pumps & attachments ready to go just add sealer & spray! He even has TRUCK UNITS. Mail me if you are interestes asphaltservice@hotmail.com
Old 05-08-2010, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

@ asphalt kid, what is the best product or method to clean out your tank at the end of the season?
Complete lawn care services
Old 05-09-2010, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Cleaning out your sealcoating tank

Well the only way i know how to clean out a sealcoating tank is to get in side the tank & scrap the sides & bottom of the tank. Use what ever works best for you.

I myself never got inside a tank before, I paid someone to clean it for me. & the best time to clean out your tank is when it's cold out side or when the sealer is solid not at a liquide state (So i was told)
Old 05-09-2010, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lol well that would be really tricky to do since the tank is 2X2X4 with a 4" opening, so it would be almost impossible lol. Maybe clean it up with varsol and let your pump and engine run? Don't know how varsol will affect the pump tho.
Complete lawn care services
Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Talking Totes.

I use totes just for storage. Enough in my barn to hold 6000 gallons. As I pump the totes into my seal rig I clean them out with a small power washer. Circulate the tank for about 10 min, then I use the water for mixing my sealer. If you have a good basket strainer it is no problem at all. My 6000 gal storage capability cost me $1650.00 and i do not have a problem with it. and it didn't cost me $20,000 for the same storage capability. Plus if I end up needing more sealer toward the end of the year. I order another 6000 gal. I just store it in my heated barn. much easier to move around 275 gal totes for this purpose rather than moving a 6000 gal tank out of the weather. sealer actually has a 3 year shelf life when packaged this way. not that you would ever have the sealer that long. but start up is alot easier in the spring when you already have the sealer on hand. I agree though that it would be very difficult to use totes in the back of a truck for the purpose of sealing driveways. I have been using the same totes for my sealer storage for 7 years now and I am finally going to have to replace 4 of them and probably a few more next year. I like the way I do this. I will never lose alot of sealer due to a early cold snap like my competition did a few years back. 2000 gal gone!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting sealcoat

Thinking of setting my son up in the sealcoating business, him and one other person. Does anyone have any idea what sort of vehicle I should use to tow a 225 gal sprayer plus melter. I spoke to someone a DOT he stated that in order to avoid the stricter regs I have to keep it under 10000lbs , does that include the weight of the truck and tailer or what? Also any idea what disability and business insurance costs are plus.. whats better sole proprietorship or LLC? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Very old thread.. You can look around here there is a bunch of info out there. That gross number would be trailer and truck. If your really going to set up a business for your kid, Do it right and get a flat bed/stake truck and mount it all on that. Make sure you get diaphragm pump and air compressor rig.
Call your local insurance agent it varies so much its crazy. I pay 800 a year that's for general liability, but you need commercial car insurance its illegal to do business in personal vehicles. Also with there being a partner situation your going to need workers comp. Lastly if you have all this invested why in the world would you risk it all PLUS your personal assets if they **** up ??? Make sure you understand fully what you have to risk when doing businesses.
With a LLC the only thing that can be sued is the business.
Good luck I hope they appreciate what your doing for them!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Starting sealcoat

Thank you for your response. I wouldn't be personally involved in any aspect of the business, once it is up and running,{I hope} except for the loan. With that being said, after further research and talking to my accountant and attorney in NY the LLC is a better way to go. With what you are recommending the 10000 lb pound weight limit would be breached.So another call to the DOT guy in Albany to see what we are looking at.My son does appreciate this.I did suggest that he take a business course, so he can understand all the intricacies he is going to have to deal with. I have read this entire site, and it has been quite an education. Seems like its highly competitive, and a tough way to make a buck.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

1000 percent LLC. I only say a truck mount because it's all there and you don't have to pay the extra insurance on the trailer. If you need a personal and commercial vehicle insurance goes WAY up and you need that trailer.
This industry is very saturated. Actually ALL property maintenance is.
That's awesome your helping him out. I would skip the college and invest in extra equipment/advertising. That's just my .02 cents but I feel hands on is the only way.

It sounds horrible but id say if your the only investor to let go of the other guy.
help out your kid but there's NOT going to be a profit to split the first year. Use him as a hired hand if you get a decent lot and need help. Keep at it and lay down good work you'll get businesses going sooner or later.