Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Business Names

Iím just curious why some of you chose the business names that you did. I would like to hear your thoughts on why you chose the name for your business:

1) Can you share the story of deciding your company name? What other names did you consider and why did you pick one over the other?

2) Have you found any other lawn care businesses with the same name? What did you do?

3) Have any of you ever changed your business name? If so, why? Did your new name help in marketing?

Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i chose my company name for a few reasons!

#1 ive had the nickname Krayz Kajun since i was i middle school
#2 it is way off from normal company names
#3 i used enterprises so i can always branch into other stuff, not limited by lawn care in the name
#4 it is catchy as hell! always have people stop and comment
#5 it kinda sticks in yur head!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 04-06-2010, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I had a job at 16 working for a lawn company, it was called Blades Lawn.

After a few weeks of working I knew I wanted to do that for myself...I told myself I would use the word blade in my name.

I like BladeScape because I do snow plowing and mowing basically...both using "blades"

And I think it sounds good. It's registered and nobody else has it. There is a Snow removal company down here called blade runners though.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like both of those names.

I came across some articles about business names not too long ago when helping a member on this website in his brainstorming for a new name. Here is a link to that thread. The articles are by Seth Godin, who is one of my favorite marketing guys. He sold his company to Yahoo a few years ago and then ran their marketing department and now makes a lot of money giving people marketing advice and writing books on the topic.

Here are some articles he wrote about naming a business:

Naming A Business

Dumb Branding

New Rules of Naming

Sloppy Naming

Trademarks

Middle Names

Celebrity Endorsements

If you are thinking about a business name, these should help with the brainstorming. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on themÖ
Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I Chose my name "Coal Creek Lawn Services" because in our local area theres a Huge creek and you guessed it, It's called coal Creek The over flow from a small county lake drains into it which in turn drains into the kansas river. The creek also runs within 100 yards of our home. I figured it was simple and there is no one eles in our area with that name. theres only one other company close that has creek in their business's name. I hope it helps set me apart from some of the competition! lol
Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I chose mine from these facts:
-My wife is the owner and she is a hair dresser
-A good razor sharp edge is best for the grass
nuff said............

http://www.razorsedgelawn.com/
Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

This is my first post to the forum...So hello to everybody

I named mine....Field of Dreams LC. I came up with this name because baseball has always been a big part of my life. I played it all the way through college and then became a high school baseball coach. I wanted something unique to me and I always thought that if I could get a yard looking like a well groomed baseball field I would have very satified customers.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the forums Field of Dreams!

I chose my name Grenoble Landscape Maintenance...

1. Last name, and many people in my neighoborhood (mainly where I want to work) might know my name

2. No one is using this name and it wont likely get taken

3. "landscape maintenance" doesn't limit me to only mowing grass

I also thought of names such as.... Grenoble lawn care, Grenoble property maintenance, etc. and also some names like clean cut, fine edge, but they were too generic and commonly used (already taken).
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 04-07-2010, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Started as LandCrafters Lawn & Landscape as a DBA and then this year when I went LLC I decided to change to Richardson's Landscape Services because theres a lot of variations on "land" and "crafters" for other industries around here and I thought using my name sounds more professional. When I registered theres no one with anything CLOSE to the name I have now, as far as marketing goes, I havent really advertised until this year with the new name so I can't really compare the success of one over the other.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 04-07-2010, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"West Metro Property Services LLC"

I've got two websites that we'll push seasonally: www.TickleMyTurf.com and www.PlowMeOut.com
Both cover some of what we do in the URL names and are easier to remember than our phone number.

I'm based out of the western metro, I like to work in the western metro and we do more than just lawns and landscaping. The name allows for growth into a variety of everything related to maintaining your property.

Last edited by mnglocker; 04-07-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Tags
business , business name , lawn care , starting buisness