Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-09-2010, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone Use A Van? I am thinking about getting one

My storage fees are $250 a month. I would love to loose that. I keep a 14' trailer and all of our stuff in there. I would rather park a van in my driveway with most of my stuff in it and save $250 a month.

In most cities including mine you can not park a commercial vehicle at your home so that is why I was shooting just to get a van. This would mean I wouldn't have a trailer anymore but really I would rather not have one. It's not like I am hauling sod every day.

So a few questions to those that have vans. Can you put a Lesco 32 or 36 in the back? Also how do you get your stuff in and out of there? What kind of van do you have?

Thanks

Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a 36 wright stander and a 48 inch toro w/b in a 2002 e150 just to try it out. It was a regular length van not the extended. You can also get a hitch mounted equipment carrier to haul the mower outside of the van. A lot of FERT guys use the mounting for their spreaders.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh wow. Didn't know you could get a 48 in there. Some of these vans are just over a grand more than my trailer. Used vans that is.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have one. I hate it. Cold in winter , nosiy as a bastard to drive.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

A van parked in your driveway would likely still be considered a commercial vehicle, would it not?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It would just be a van. If it has signs on it they would get me. I know a guy that uses a van down the street from me. He parks his in the driveway and it has been there for at least a year or so. So, guess he is ok.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen guys using them but always wondered how they clean up leaves and haul away. Maybe sub out leaves?And what about grass clippings,they would get ripe in the heat in a van.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did it for a couple of months. I ran an Exmark Turf Tracer 36". It was really nice in tight areas (the beach), but other than that I didn't care for it much.

Anytime I did shrubs or trimmed a palm it was a PITA.

Fumes were not an issue as I had the passenger compartment closed off from the cargo area.

In this thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302605 I have posted pictures, you can get a good Idea of how much room you would have. I could have easily gotten a 48" in there and possibly a 52" as the wheel wells were a little over 53" apart.

I think the most important thing with trying to run out of a van is to have a good ramp. Either make one yourself, buy one, or have one fabricated. Using planks or ramps that you would have to pull out and place each time becomes a PITA. If you had a ramp that would fold down and stay down and still let you lock the doors it wouldn't be that bad.

One ramp is the hide away ramp, first picture. The Safe-T-Ramp looks nice as well, link: http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-hitch-ramp.htm
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2010, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with the debri problem I bought an Isuzu box truck and loved it for the obvious reasons. However, I was kicking myself for selling my trailer. Trust me, you'll always need a trailer-debri, straw, etc. You can't live w/o an open trailer. Around her, the cost is only $50/month to park a trailer and truck at a mini storage.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
I have one. I hate it. Cold in winter , nosiy as a bastard to drive.
That is mistake.

I drive 2 vans. 1 is 96 E350 passenger van for drunk peoples. #2 is 01 E250 extend cargo. It get hot very quick in winter if you drive fast. Pretty fast snappy for 5.4L. Can hold 5K pound in E250. It use for carpet.

I was consider buy Van but after figure out. I stick to F250 until locksmith business great then I get Ford E250 or E350.

Don't bother get E150 it not worth but only for vacation or family.

If Anyone from Michigan check this.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...2261260?ref=ts