Register free!

Old 04-09-2010, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scotts Turf Builder W/Halts

Just saw their TV ad. Here's what it said:

"Some companies offer fertilizer with mostly filler.... sometimes containing sand, sawdust, or even gravel! Scotts fertilizer can't be copied. Get the Scotts advantage."

So I started searching for product labels. Could not find any labels regarding the preemergent product. Are they still using Pre-M at the low rate? Reason I ask is we keep picking up customers who were disappointed with Scotts + Halts crabgrass control. Then I found a whole bunch of negative websites .....poor reviews from homeowners as well as Federal government intervention regarding lack of product labeling. (and I thought TruGreen had bad reviews )

After looking at 6 different sites, I was able to find 2 sites that merely showed fertilizer analysis. 30-0-4 & 36-0-4 (both with Halts)

I thought the TV ad was misleading (just like the Federal Government did).

Are consumers getting ripped off? Would anyone want to copy their fertilizer? Does Scotts even manufacture their own fertilizer? Any thoughts?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scotts does manufacture their own fert., and have their own process of homogenizing. Yes, they are still using pre-m as their a.i.. (something like 1.7%, I believe). And yes, it's great to see they're still giving people worthless analysis fert that is all show and no go. A whole lot of color and leaf top growth, but no substance. It is sad, the people that are still falling for this - just because of the name formed back when there were what they USED to be.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks Joe, I was wondering. Also saw alot of negative reviews regarding Scotts fert + broadleaf control....damaging ornamentals as well as turf.

In their TV ad, they showed video of "gravel being poured into a bag" of fertilizer (suggesting that's what other manufacturers do).

The labels I could find never indicated how much slow release fert was included, and I wonder if their "Halts" is as good as Dimension or Barricade.

Wondering if Scotts is getting desparate, losing market share, or what? I know Menards is selling EC Grow fertilizer products. Anybody else?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The girl on their Ortho commercials is hawt!

http://www.scotts.com/smg/learn/vide...arentId=100006
Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Runner is right and too date, all others I know of in the Northeast (based on a major dealer) DROPPED there price to the middle man and SCOTTS increased it..Too funny.

If anyone thinks there Pre-m worked just as good as Dim...Well, I still use both but not a their (Scotts) low rate.

But there are making profits and many dealers are not making much selling it..

Last edited by bx24; 04-09-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They're probably still using Pendi because it's the least "problematic" when the stupid homeowner over-applies at like triple the recommended rate! If they used Dimension, and dumped it down HOT, the root pruning would wreck havoc all season.

But man....30-X-X is just asking for daily mowings! Add to that they will start radio and TV adds soon for their weed and feed which is usually upper 30's as well! And you know, you gotta put it down when the advertisements tell you to!!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Call me the devils advocate but anytime I have used Scotts fertilizer it has
always been a good clean easy to spread small prill size uniform product.

I have only used a few bags over the last ten years but it's not a bad product.

You can rag on Scotts and TGCL all you want, but we would all trade places with them in a heartbeat, and it was Chemlawn that started this whole industry for us all in the early seventies.

:shrugs:
Old 04-09-2010, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
They're probably still using Pendi because it's the least "problematic" when the stupid homeowner over-applies at like triple the recommended rate! If they used Dimension, and dumped it down HOT, the root pruning would wreck havoc all season.

But man....30-X-X is just asking for daily mowings! Add to that they will start radio and TV adds soon for their weed and feed which is usually upper 30's as well! And you know, you gotta put it down when the advertisements tell you to!!
I have tried double the Dim and no issues...LOL..one my own property to try
Old 04-09-2010, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Add to that they will start radio and TV adds soon for their weed and feed which is usually upper 30's as well! And you know, you gotta put it down when the advertisements tell you to!!
Oh, this is SO wrong. One should seek strong and knowledgeable consultation on this, Everyone knows a sure source of reliable info is the kid in aisle 4 at the home depot. HE'll set ya straight!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if home depot doesnt have any damaged bags in the dumpster i use a mix of coarse granular gravel, pool sand and crushed charcoal briquets as my crabgrass control. lawns turn green early in the spring anyway so you dont really need to fertilize. and from what i've heard crabgrass control is just a myth perpetrated by scotts as far back as 1878. but who cares?!?!?!? i can throw together a fifty pound sack of my round one application for $2 and it's organic so john and sally homeowner don't have to worry about their little cherubs eating the stuff