Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-18-2010, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Different mowers for different purposes

I just started my lawn care service, and did my first 2 jobs today. I've basically started on a shoestring budget, buying used (but good) equipment. For now, I'm working out of the back of my truck. I've got a snapper walk behind, some echo trimmers, stihl blower, and a few hand tools.

My snapper is about 10 years old, and it's set up for bagging or side discharge. This mower is a workhorse, especially for tall grass.

Here's my question. On lawns that are maintained regularly, it seems that a mulching mower would make more sense than the snapper. I'm considering buying a Toro Recycler and having two mowers in the back of my truck for different circumstances. Would you recommend having different mowers for different lawns, or just bagging everything?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Out here in California, the more experienced gardeners will have at least one rotary for rye and fescue and one reel mower for bermuda - and they always bag or catch everything; I've never seen a gardener mowing a strip mall without a bag on the mower.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a residential 33" mower that I use for very small front yards and areas with alot of obstacles, such as mulch beds. The mower is my primary mulching mower. I don't bag many yards, so this is the only option I have. My Ferris is not set up to mulch. I do not like to blow grass in mulch beds and on sidewalks as it just creates more work with the blower. Also if you get in tight neighborhoods with many houses, this also means kids out playing and alot of expensive cars in the driveways. In these situations I don't feel it is worth the risk of sidecharging with my Ferris when I can just hit these areas with my 33" mower with the mulch plate on. I have 2 mowers that leave a better cut, but safety is always the most important thing.