Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2010, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I support the HST, now I will get hell for that.

Work here is not getting worse, and not getting better, although a certain family member I apparently work for thinks it's a good idea to buy a slightly used Volvo EC235C and a concrete pulverizer, never mind the promise to grab a rubber wheeled excavator to get more of the municipal work as promised.

HST ALL THE WAY!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 04-11-2010, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSet N' Grade View Post
We in the dirt/landscaping business here are participating in the "Jobless Recovery".......in layman's terms: no jobs, low to no machine sales, no sales at local farm stores which are usually packed this time of year........and I am still scratching my head trying to figure out the meaning of that oxymoron.......as an example: I went to Lowe's this morning and myself and one other guy were the ONLY two customers in the entire store....zippo, nada, nothing. One large successful dirt contractor has told his staff to quit bidding jobs and not waste their time - work is being let out at below cost. Landscapers who I work with who usually have a job in hand and a few to look forward to have nothing. I am getting slaughtered on my bids to guys who are willing to run a machine for $35-$50 an hour and dump trucks for $60-$50 an hour.
Texas Lowe's and Home Depot parking lots are still full but we probably got into full Spring swing faster than you higher elevation guys.

I base my assumptions on this; the number of gravel trucks running me off the road, the orders taken where my wife works (title company) and number of tire kickers calling for prices. Things are looking good for Spring but I do believe that some folks are scrambling to lock in mortgages for retirement homes and possibly spending some 401k money while the stocks are up relative to a year and a half ago.
We need confidence to get back to work as a nation. We also need a sound fiscal policy that deals with trade and labor issues that keep the playing field level. If the US gets back into shape, the rest of N. America will fall into line but we gotta have that confidence in our leaders and their policies before people will want to crack their nest eggs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 04-11-2010, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The economy is bad in these parts. Allot of people are laid off and trying anything they can to make money to pay the bills. The big companies they worked for have moved out. The big excavators that have been in business 20 or 30 years are being undercut big time on bids to get jobs. I see people around here advertising to run a skidsteer for $40 to $50 an hour and not charging anything to travel a good hour or so. Fuel cost are going up and I see that choking things off if it continues to climb. I see the stock market having a little bit of a decline coming soon. Allot of people that are calling to have excavating work done are calling a good hour away and allot of them are just shopping for the cheapest price and quality seems to not be as big of a deal. I see things not getting much better for a year or so.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Things aren't looking that bad for us here. Phones been ringing, In fact it might be a good year for us.

But that being said. I do ALOT of different work. So if one thing drops off, somethig else pics up.

I'm not worried anymore.

J.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mow king View Post
I'd say it's still slow at least for Lawn work in Cleveland - We've received about 4 times as many spring fliers as we usually receive. A few even put their quote right on their flier - low bid so far for weekly maintenance of my one acre yard - $25!!

That is crazy. There is no point in owning a lawn mower for that.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
This province ie B.C. the damn gov't is cutting back on stuff and now they want to bring in the HST which is a new ****ing tax so everything we buy or services will have a 12% tax on it.

Things would be improving but the gov't is taxing the crap out of us and cutting back on services etc. Say good bye to recovery of our economy for another year.

Say you do a job worth 1000 dollars there will be 120 dollars of tax on it then all the materials bought for the job will have 12 percent tax on it.

Going to be a intersting year I bet you will see some of the contractors here fold up they can't take anymore hits to the bottom line they are barely surviving now.

You want taxes come to this province where they take 90% of your income in taxes.
You're such a ******* a moron. You're just a tourist in this forum. What? It's not like you even work in the industry, not even remotely. **** this fake clown your attitude is damn pathetic. You should be trying to save face from your irrelevant business schemes and blame your pathetic work finding abilities on genetic deficiency. See your an embarrassment to all heavy construction workers in this country, it puts all us real cats in a bad mood. See when it comes to being a real worker in the industry I don't think there is any hope for you, this message is long over due. The Gordon Campbell government may be an embarrassment to this country, but then again so are you. See you're ugly with a horrible voice, your character sucks, and you lack wits. I hate anybody, that like anybody that likes GR.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
I support the HST, now I will get hell for that.

Work here is not getting worse, and not getting better, although a certain family member I apparently work for thinks it's a good idea to buy a slightly used Volvo EC235C and a concrete pulverizer, never mind the promise to grab a rubber wheeled excavator to get more of the municipal work as promised.

HST ALL THE WAY!!!!
wouldnt a rubber tire exc give you guys more ditch work?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
wouldnt a rubber tire exc give you guys more ditch work?
Yup, and more work the 25 year old aging truck mounted Gradall gets.

Maybe that should be my new business venture, have a sit down, get 3 years of guaranteed work on paper from the Public works division as a contract, sell the Takeuchi, and lease a Volvo 180C "rubber duck" and really piss my brother off.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 04-11-2010, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually if you look around, they about give those rubber tired excavators away. The city here had a JD which was about 13 years old but only had 1800 hours on it. Sold for 10K. So they turned around and bought a new CAT for 180K.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
Yup, and more work the 25 year old aging truck mounted Gradall gets.

Maybe that should be my new business venture, have a sit down, get 3 years of guaranteed work on paper from the Public works division as a contract, sell the Takeuchi, and lease a Volvo 180C "rubber duck" and really piss my brother off.
Haha, that would be hilarious.