Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-10-2010, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Mower

In a month I will be selling my 322 Grasshopper Diesel. I am in the market for a new zero-turn. My local dealer sold Scag so I bought a 48 inch 19hp Scag. I'm sold on Scag, in my opinion they are the best mowers out there, I have not tried the new velocity decks. When I was ready for a new zero turn I discovered that my dealer stop selling scags, they replaced them with Bobcats . I went out and bought a Grasshopper from another dealer (BIG MISTAKE) in my experience the grasshopper 61 inch 22hp diesel is underpowered, heavy, and Grasshopper needs to work on their decks. Too much buildup under deck when cutting thick grass! I learned my lesson never go out of town to another dealer. I bought a Walker, love that machine! Long story short, Iím torn between a Hustler 31 hp 66 inch deck or a Bobcat predator pro 37hp 61 inch deck. Around my area 90% of the lawn companies are running Hustler. I need a machine thatís going to go through thick wet grass/weeds like it's nothing. I have a lot of huge country yards, Iím liking the idea of a 66 deck with the Hustler but have heard complaints on quality of cut. I want a smooth as possible cut, and the main thing is reducing the clumping under the deck. Which one would you guys recommend?

Tyler
Crocker's Lawn Care
Old 04-10-2010, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can't go wrong with Bobcat they cut pretty good on most grass I haven't heard good things about the 37 kawi. The generac 33 is a beast though more torque and uses a lot less fuel
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-11-2010, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Simple answer is 90% of other lawn co. are running hustler for a reason. I really haven't heard anything bad about the hustler or bobcat but the dealer support seems to scream yellow brand.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag velocity plus

If your mowing thick wet grass the velocity plus is just plain awsome. High grass,weeds,thick lush lawns,etc,etc,etc, it handles it all. One of the best all around decks on the market today.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosha2006 View Post
In a month I will be selling my 322 Grasshopper Diesel. I am in the market for a new zero-turn. My local dealer sold Scag so I bought a 48 inch 19hp Scag. I'm sold on Scag, in my opinion they are the best mowers out there, I have not tried the new velocity decks. When I was ready for a new zero turn I discovered that my dealer stop selling scags, they replaced them with Bobcats . I went out and bought a Grasshopper from another dealer (BIG MISTAKE) in my experience the grasshopper 61 inch 22hp diesel is underpowered, heavy, and Grasshopper needs to work on their decks. Too much buildup under deck when cutting thick grass! I learned my lesson never go out of town to another dealer. I bought a Walker, love that machine! Long story short, Iím torn between a Hustler 31 hp 66 inch deck or a Bobcat predator pro 37hp 61 inch deck. Around my area 90% of the lawn companies are running Hustler. I need a machine thatís going to go through thick wet grass/weeds like it's nothing. I have a lot of huge country yards, Iím liking the idea of a 66 deck with the Hustler but have heard complaints on quality of cut. I want a smooth as possible cut, and the main thing is reducing the clumping under the deck. Which one would you guys recommend?

Tyler
Crocker's Lawn Care
Are those two brands the only ones that you're considering? The only reason that I ask isthat there are serveral mower brands that will do a better job on those large country lawns, in regards to clean cut without clumping.

If you have dealer support close enough to suit you for these brands then you might check out the Scag with a Velocity+ deck, the John Deere 900 series with the 7 iron deck, The Everride Warrior (tunnel teck), the snapper pro or Ferris with the ICD deck( similar to Scags deck), or maybe the Husqvarna PZ series with their new deck. In my opinion, these brands will handle the type of conditions that you probably see and will give you the results you are looking for. Little to no clumping, clean cut, and hopefully slow to have grass buildup under deck, although in sring I would think that nearly all decks will have some buildup because of the type of spring growth that occurs.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

razorblades- The Bobcat and the Hustler are the brands my dealer sells, they have been very good to me and I hate to buy elsewhere!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So does your one dealer sell both Hustler and Bob-Cat or do you have to go to two separate dealers for them?

I personally liked my bob-cat mower very much. Good mower, cut good and can stand up to alot of abuse.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds