Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2010, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Member

mantis power rake

can a mantis power rake (w/spring tines) be used through out the season being that it is not as aggressive as thatching? only doing small lots and new customers. thanks
Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used a Mantis tiller with a dethatcher and found it to work very well. It's not as aggressive as a true power rake so it won't bring up as much thatch but for the average lawn that's not a big problem. On top of that, because it's more gentle, you'll likely not get as much damage as you would with a power rake. As for durability, I'm not sure how long the tines would last.

It's probably worth a shot. Last time I looked at Mantis' website, I noticed that they brought out a larger version of the original mantis with a 35 cc Honda 4 stroke engine. That might be the best thing for you, since you'd have a larger width to work with.

Hope this helps you.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the Mantis with the Honda GX25 engine and dethatcher tine. It work really well. I don't have experience with the Blue Bird stuff. But unless you have the one with bagging capability, I just don't think you save much time compare to using a Mantis because it is the cleaning that takes more time. Whether the Mantis is slower is really not as important in the big picture. Of cause the Mantis is going to be slower, just look at the price and the engine size!!!

I found it can pull a looooottttttt of dead grass out but at the same time it is very gentle that it does not beat up the lawn at all. I help a few friends dethatching and they all very surprised that it does not beat up the lawn and the lawn looked good right after cleaning up the dead stuff.

You don't do dethatching at the time to spend over $1000 on a Blue Bird and you still have to store it because this is not an everyday equipment like a mower. The Mantis sure can do the job. Also it work so well in cultivating weeds in tight space.

But I have to say if I were to do it again, I would look harder on the Stihl Yard Boss, mainly because it has the brush and the paddle attachments. I miss the brush for washing my back patio and front driveway.

I don't know whether the new 35 cc will help that much because I never feel it is lack of power to start with. It just work really well!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for replies, i have the mantis already and used it on a couple small yards ...but...can i use it all through spring,summer,fall on new customer start ups? or will outside temperature matter.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I am from the Bay Area, we don't have extreme temperature. So I can't speak for weather. I use it all year round. If you have the unit already, buy online from Mantis $139 for dethatch or $169 for aerator dethatcher combo. It is of good quality. Should be able to stand up for commercial use. It is heavy also, very solid. You would not have bouncing problem at all. Never bounce on me. It is not like when using the regular tines. You won't regret buying it. All my friend that I help dethatching were amazed how good the result.

Back to the weather, it is either the Echo 21cc or the Honda GX25. Both are about as best as it can be. Both easy starting, reliable. I don't think you would have issue on extreme weather.

I did looked up the Mantis site. I am not sure the new bigger Mantis is very useful. 30lbs is not going to replace a real tiller and is too wide to go between tight space like the original Mantis. I am a home owner, I own a front tine tiller and a Mantis. One for twice a year to really turn over the soil, the Mantis do the rest. I just don't think the medium size Mantis can do either one of the job.

Last edited by Alan0354; 04-11-2010 at 05:00 PM.