Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-30-2000, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

OK. once you remove the locking pin. Then remove the pin that holds the spider gears in place. Then like said there is a C clip in each side. Just push the axle shaft in tords the truck. The C clip will usally fall out. Be careful not to turn the axle shaft or let the spider gears move. or they will fall out. then just remove the axle shaft. you can even use the end of the axle shaft to pull the seal out. I use to do this all the time. It was fast easy money. Good Luck.
Old 05-31-2000, 04:29 AM
rusty86

Sounds great, this is just what I have -- a big C-clip on the inner end of both cross shafts, with the pinion shaft running through the spider gears & between the cross shafts, so that if the pinion shaft were removed, the cross shafts would be able to move inward enough for the big C-clips to slide out, and the cross shafts would slide out of the differential. The lock bolt runs through one end of the pinion shaft, and it appears to be the only thing keeping it from sliding out of the spider gears, but something's holding it -- that's why I'm thinking some minor gallng around the lock bolt hole might be causing just enough resistance to keep it from sliding -- wondering if a small gear puller might be used , with the lock bolt out, to press the shaft out of the spider gears. This is the short shaft/pin, that runs right through the spider gears, that's causing the problem. Lock bolt is out, completely intact as far as I can tell. Just wanted to check & see if anyone else had had this shaft hang up on them before I proceed. I may just put the lock bolt back in & leave well enough alone, since both wheels/drums are off now.
Old 05-31-2000, 10:53 PM

If all you got is 3/16 of reduced diameter pin on that bolt you didn't get it all. That pin area has to go all the way through the center pin in the carrier. Try probing with a small wire and see if you can put the wire through at least as far as the other side of the carrier pin. I don't remember if the hole is drilled though so you could get behind a broken pin and push it out. Yort, can you offer any insight here?
Old 05-31-2000, 10:56 PM

You could rotate the carrier until you are looking at the end of the center pin and caress it gently with a brass drift and hammer. Don't get carried away, butI can't see the pin galling at all, they usually push out with finger pressure alone
Old 06-05-2000, 04:27 PM
rusty86

Ijust want to thank everone for all the advice; it was a tremendous help. I checked the bolt again, and it's way too short, obvously sheared somewhere inside. I put what bolt I have back in and tourqed it well, and I'm going to run it on the theory that the differential was working OK, and that pin isn't going anywhere. So -- on with the brake job, thinking all the while about picking up a used rear end to have on hand, just in case.<p>Thanks again, eveyone, for your advice and for your time.<p>Richard