Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Pricing for sod removal

Can anyone help with the amount of time it would take to sodcut and remove
1400 sqft of sod. It would be just me and a helper. Are we in over our heads to think this can be done in 1 day. Thanks
Lesco 48w/b
Husqvarna 21/48 LT
Echo pb-413 blower
Echo pe 200 Stick edger
Echo hc 150 hedge Trimmer
(2) Echo srm230 Trimmer
:
Old 04-12-2010, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can def. get it done in one day with a helper. You need to have the right equipment though. Def. get a sodcutter as 1400 sq. ft. isn't small. Not sure what sod you are putting down, but a pallet of St. Augustine covers 500 sq. ft.

You need to kill off the old sod with an herbicide, wait 7-10 days and go in and re-sod. Pricing will vary, but if I did it I would charge around $375/pallet which includes prep and labor. Sod is tough in my opinion as there are a lot of sod companies and i'm sure most will charge less to get the job.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

.... hes not putting down any sod... hes removing it
Old 05-05-2010, 02:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 guys with a sod cutter, 2 wheel barrows, 2 shovels a grading rake and a dump trailer = 3hrs max. Experienced and organized crews of 2 can do 700sf per hour with no problem, add in 15 minutes for jobsite cleanup and time for dumping. Obviously if you don't have a dump trailer you will lose 20-30 minutes unloading vs. 2 minutes.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would bid 700sf @ 5 hours for 2 men + dump fees & sod cutter rental (if needed)

I think Mr. Vern would be bidding way to optimistically. Something always goes wrong or takes longer then expected.. at every single job.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnandlandscape - I guess better safe than sorry, but my guys just tore out 3 yards totalling 2600sf and were done by lunch. This included driving across town to 3 seperate locations. I did have to send one of them to dump the trailer afterward, but the other was freed up for other jobs. I think it depends on the crew and how motivated they are as well as the conditions they are working in (lots of trees or edges to work up against).
Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vern View Post
Lawnandlandscape - I guess better safe than sorry, but my guys just tore out 3 yards totalling 2600sf and were done by lunch. This included driving across town to 3 seperate locations. I did have to send one of them to dump the trailer afterward, but the other was freed up for other jobs. I think it depends on the crew and how motivated they are as well as the conditions they are working in (lots of trees or edges to work up against).
Hang on to those guys! I wish I could find guys like that.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You gotta go through A couple dozen to find one like that, but its worth it. MY guys joke about our turnover, they tell the new guys "if you make it a month, you got a job for life". Of course, not many make it more than 3 days unless I am just desperate for a body at the time.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

1400 sqft here with a sod cutter I can do it by myself in 6 hours easy loading into my truck. I can barely get 275-300 a pallet removed and replaced here sod cost is $96 per 500 sqft. OMG RIP thread didn't see it was a month old. Thanks lawn landscape for bringing it back up
Old 05-08-2010, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unknownfl - that's because youve got 2 things going for you. You are organized and motivated. It can be done if you do it often and you can get in the groove, and you are incented to get it done and not make it last.
BTW - thanks for pointing out that we were responding to an old thread. Now I feel dumb!