Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Redmax Trimmer BCZ2401S running bad

I have a fairly new redmax trimmer, the bcz2401s specifically. I don't know if anyone has ever had this problem, but the trimmer won't run full throttle anymore. It WILL run full throttle if held upside down! Crazy! I don't know for sure why this is. I cleaned the spark plug, and it gets good spark. I even yanked out that stupid little spark arrester screen in the exhaust port. Cleaned the foam air filter. I sprayed carb cleaner in the engine. I greased up the trimmer head gearbox, and put in fresh gas and two cycle oil. I also cleaned the fuel filter. After inspecting the cylinder head from looking in the spark plug hole, it looks black with crap caked on thick, and I suspect this could be the culprit. The carb cleaner spray is not even getting this out. My question is, what is the best way to polish up the cylinder head and internal engine parts without damaging them. I don't want to scratch this thing up and make it worse! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Clif
Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't worry. This is a pretty common problem with the Redmax strato-charged trimmers. There is a solution that many people have used that help's make their Redmaxes run great again.

Run 1 oz. of Seafoam per-gallon in your gas to get rid of the black carbon. It works great. Also try pouring it once or twice into the carb through the hole in the air filter area. Start it up. The engine will smoke like crazy, but it will burn the carbon out. This will also help clean out the exhaust port which is probably plugged, therefore causing your problem. Just yesterday we put some Seafoam in the engine oil of a car that had a sticking valve causing a clattering sound. After a one hour trip, the next time it was started, the valve had been freed up, and no more clattering! This stuff really works well. You can get it at O'Reilly's, Advance, Auto Zone, etc. Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Just a quick question, do you run without the string guard or the guard adjusted up the shaft to allow a longer string to use trimming?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis215 View Post
Don't worry. This is a pretty common problem with the Redmax strato-charged trimmers. There is a solution that many people have used that help's make their Redmaxes run great again.

Run 1 oz. of Seafoam per-gallon in your gas to get rid of the black carbon. It works great. Also try pouring it once or twice into the carb through the hole in the air filter area. Start it up. The engine will smoke like crazy, but it will burn the carbon out. This will also help clean out the exhaust port which is probably plugged, therefore causing your problem. Just yesterday we put some Seafoam in the engine oil of a car that had a sticking valve causing a clattering sound. After a one hour trip, the next time it was started, the valve had been freed up, and no more clattering! This stuff really works well. You can get it at O'Reilly's, Advance, Auto Zone, etc. Hope this helps.
Thanks, that sounds much easier than what I had in mind. I hope it does the trick, will let you know after I get some seafoam if it worked!
Old 04-12-2010, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NkyLawncare View Post
Just a quick question, do you run without the string guard or the guard adjusted up the shaft to allow a longer string to use trimming?
I use the string guard as it came, never thought it was a good idea to modify it.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

That's what you want to do. I was asking because I was told just tonight by a dealer that Redmax has had problems with users adjusting the guard up to be able to use more string to trim and that that mix ratio was actually wrong in this situation due to rpm, etc.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It might take a couple weeks or more to clean everything out if you just run it only in your gas mix, just to let you know. That's why putting it straight in the carb will help clean it out really fast. It will also clean out your carb jets, and keep you from having carb problems as frequently. There's a guy on here that has 6-year old Redmax equipment that still have the original carbs because he's been using Seafoam.

I run it in all of my handheld equipment, and it all purrs now.

Hope you get your trimmer running again!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=genesis215;3518520]Don't worry. This is a pretty common problem with the Redmax strato-charged trimmers. There is a solution that many people have used that help's make their Redmaxes run great again.

Run 1 oz. of Seafoam per-gallon in your gas to get rid of the black carbon. It works great. Also try pouring it once or twice into the carb through the hole in the air filter area. Start it up. The engine will smoke like crazy, but it will burn the carbon out. This will also help clean out the exhaust port which is probably plugged, therefore causing your problem. QUOTE]

Seafoam is a great product--I add it to all my gas/oil mix. Used on regular basis, very little internal carbon is formed!!!!

Hey Genesis, I see you live in Russellville Ark.--lived there for a few years back in the late 70's--a great place to live.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it is beautiful here with the Boston mountains and Lake Dardanelle.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NkyLawncare View Post
That's what you want to do. I was asking because I was told just tonight by a dealer that Redmax has had problems with users adjusting the guard up to be able to use more string to trim and that that mix ratio was actually wrong in this situation due to rpm, etc.
Thanks for the tip. I see a lot of lawn guys running around with echo trimmers doing this and I could only guess either their guards broke, or they wanted a whole bunch of string at once, seems like a string waster to me. My mower can usually trim close enough without the need for any extra string like that. If not, we bring out the trimmer again, hate to leave a job looking ugly ;-)