Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Job Find Commissions

Question for the landscapers out there that receive work leads.

I strictly provide mowing lawn services only but have customers approaching
me with landscape service inquiries time to time.
I also could easily upsell those services as well.

What is the typical "commission" paid to a third party like myself for the job find,
ground work and forwarding to another company as a referred provider.

Example: 12 yard mulch job around house, one side of garage, and a large pine tree.
Very "little" prep work, and 40' access to the house from back yard garage/drive or same from front of house off the road. 6 yards dumped in each location start spreading.
Existing beds 85% cleaned out, do not want bed lines redone just spread mulch.
Supplier is 12 blks from the property, 12 yds Cedar delivered and installed I shot them a $1,400
quote and were fine with it.

Looking to see if these efforts are worth passing on to others and what a guy would kick back to me for an example like the small job as above.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Dude! It's absoulutely worth passing on. Find someone in the area that you can and want to trust and pass them the work. Speaking from experience you never know when life will throw you a curve ball, in my case its my knee.. 12 yards is pretty normal for installs worth lookin at twice. If you really want to make a few bucks maybe hundred bucks, but even there in this climate that's the cost of making a new best friend that'll come pull you outta a snow bank and lend you a 'spare' mower when you really need it. Find the right friend and pass it on. Dollars are great but when you in the rough AAA doesn't help you out like a brother. 18 yards plus that's a slightly different story imho.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvyMbaWC-sI
Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I'm always for helping out others when I don't provide the service.
Thought if asking for 8-10% was unreasonable to expect, or if I should do it myself
seeing the mow schedule is a week away.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Member

If you pay 2 guys $10/hr to spread it and it takes them lets say 8 hours ("minimal bed prep", set up & clean up time included) you pay them $160. Assuming $25/yd & labor, your cost (not including business operating costs) is around $460. $1400 - $460 = $940. That's a lot better than 10% ($140) and your still not touching the mulch yourself. Even if you add in all your business operating costs, and I'm off on my time estimate, you'll still come out much better than $140 for a referral. If you have the workers & time, just do it yourself in my opinion. Even if it's you doing it solo...$1400 - $300 for mulch = $1100 for 2 days worth of work....