Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

eXmark Vantage is HERE!!!!

Got the 48"/24HP model. Picked it up this afternoon. I'll be cutting with it tomorrow.

Likes -

Platform/pad are comfy.

Motor raises and lowers with the deck, lowering the CG for hills.

Platform flips and locks up for use as a WB.

Hydro filter is EASY to get at.

Outer spindle covers on the deck pop on and off with no screws.

Digital hourmeter is nice.

Electric PTO(hate the manual PTO on my TTHPs).

Top speed adjustment is nice.

Dislikes -

Deck lift springs could help out a little more.

No anti-scalp rollers anywhere. Why?

All the controls(pto, throttle, keyswitch) are tilted AWAY from the operator and are pretty awkward to get at.

eXmark could have easily adapted ECS controls to this mower. I don't particularly like the way the controls are now, having to switch hand position to go from forward to reverse on a wheel. I suppose I will get used to it, time will tell.

No canister air filter system. This is assnine on a commercial machine especially considering what it costs.

Overall I think this mower will speed up my residentials after I get used to using it, and it will be a nice addition to my fleet of mowers.

Do I think eXmark hit a home run, I dunno. I realize that they're owned by Toro, and it's basically a copy of the Grandstand with a few changes, but I think they could have made some extra improvements to the machine.

I'll add some pictures and reports on how well it cuts etc. in the next couple days. It will REALLY get a workout Thursday and Friday.

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm Jealous.

I just have a feeling that thing just rocks.

Pics now.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Competing aginst exmark, I was scratching my head wondering why they did not use the ECS. I mean common that is thier "selling point" and they allready own the pattent. Its fine by me though. Makes them easy to sell aginst now.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
No canister air filter system. This is assnine on a commercial machine especially considering what it costs.
The reasoning for this was that with it sticking up in the front it will get beat up and damaged which as a Wright dealer I will agree with. The canisters get beat to death up there. And on the Toro/Exmark machine it could hurt visibility a little....and would be worse if they added a guard high enough to protect it.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I guess that's a good point. The filtration system is improved over the slightly older Kawasakis.

I have cut one lawn so far. Good news it cuts great like any other eXmark. Its going to take time to get used to the controls. Its a natural progression to go from a walk behind to the Vantage and eXmark screwed up big time. ECS would have made this machine much more efficient and fingertip control afforded by the ECS would be much more controllable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Subscribing. I've never heard of adapting the ECS to a stander/ztr but seems like a damn good idea.
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
Old 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well forget about using this as a walk behind. There is zero traction on any sort of slope with no weight on the platform.

I'm still giving this thing a chance but my initial impression has me wondering if I made a mistake.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not trying to start a war, but have you tried scags Vride yet? Its one hell of a machine.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't looked closely at one. I've done a few more lawns and my opinion is improving. I think I will get used to the controls... Even so, from just glancing at the scag I really don't see where it would have a large advantage.

Ill keep giving my input on the vantage. I don't plan on switching to scag unless my dealer starts treating me like crap
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoboy01 View Post
Well forget about using this as a walk behind. There is zero traction on any sort of slope with no weight on the platform.

I'm still giving this thing a chance but my initial impression has me wondering if I made a mistake.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you talking about heading up/down a slope or across? I am waiting for my 48"/24hp GrandStand to arrive and was planning on some walk-behind slope work. Does it matter if you use less throttle?