Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can definitely see complaints about the controls. Wright has everyone beat in that department with their quad controls or whatever they call them. Used to have a customer with a very old Great Dane stander that I hated moving or driving at all compared to the Wrights. The Toro/Exmark is a bit better with the double bars where the old Great Dane had a single bar I think. Have not driven the scag before. It just looks clumsy to me with where that huge pad is in related to the platform.

Also to the poster with the mythical magical lawnmower that is so perfect....either post pics or STFU about it. Maybe you can find bigfoot while you are at it.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post

Also to the poster with the mythical magical lawnmower that is so perfect....either post pics or STFU about it. Maybe you can find bigfoot while you are at it.

And slam dunk! I also agree if your going to down talk a mower at least have some seat time on it. Or in this case foot time.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM Ventures View Post
If I could get the Grandstand's cut quality in a Wright Stander I would go back in a heartbeat...
I read on here in another thread that slightly smaller pulleys on the spindles make the Wrights cut much better.....

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
this should get the same reaction as throwin a rock at a bee hive!!!
Looks pretty nice. I wonder how it compares to the exmark cut quality,
Old 04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallimeca View Post
This was added to Vangtage and not on the Grandstand. They are adjustable so you should be able to tighten them up. Just keep in mind that everything is new and will wear in a bit...
Yeah I noticed they were adjustable. I will try to tighten them up. I know, I'm being lazy

Quote:
Because it's technically not a full floating deck. although the anti scalp wheels may help in some situations. Maybe a change next year or an add on kit.......
Technically not, but the deck does move independently of the upper/front frame whereas on a true fixed deck, the front casters are usually bolted to the front of the deck. I can definitely see a couple situations already in my day to day use of the machine where a couple rollers on the deck would help.

Quote:
Done partially to keep them out of harms way. Although I agree, it is difficult for shorter folks in walk behind mode, however, keep in mind, this machine is designed as a STAND ON for 99.9 % of it's use.......
Ok, but they're right there in front of you on a walk-behind. Anyways it's not a huge deal really. Just takes some getting used to.

Quote:
ECS was considered, however, it doesn't fit the machine and controls.
Sure it would. I can visualize it, and it would be far superior to what they're using right now.

Quote:
You don't really have to switch hand positions if you use your thumbs for reverse and rest your palms on the bar.
You must have some big-ass hands then because I tried that, and it's not happening.

Quote:
You'll get the hang of it. All the other stand ons are kinda the same.
Yeah I have, it's getting more comfortable now. Probably 10 more hours and I will be able to operate the machine without thinking about what my hands are doing.

Quote:
1st thing I griped to Exmark about when I first saw these months ago. The new filters on these engines are pretty nice and the cost of the cannister filters getting smashed up (and the will and do) where they would have to mount them makes sense.
Agreed.

Quote:
Don't know if anyone has noticed but the plastic/rubber discharge chutes have been becoming more and more popular over the past 6 years and this isn't new for exmark...........they have been running them about as long. Only machines still using steel are the trivantage decks on the metro and vikings.....
The plastic ones are definitely better. You can hit them on something without bending the crap out of them, the two steel chutes on my TTHPs were bent within a week of buying them.

Quote:
I don't think the battery is mounted in a bad spot at all. Nice cool location, easy to get at to charge and jump. Compare it to a turf tracer........
Shrug, on my TTHP it's in the same spot, but higher up. I just don't like the fact that it's in the way of the chute. I can't put the grass catcher on unless I remove the chute which sucks. Oh well, I used a bungee to hold it open anyways.

After riding for a few hours, I question the effectiveness of the pad on the Scag. I find myself leaning forward and resting my hips on the top part of the pad, on the Scag there is nothing there. I guess I'd have to try one...

Originally posted by SLR:
Quote:
you really got off fortunate and lucky 5-0boy1!..imagine if you an her created a little 5boy1,now there's a nicely entangled chaotic toranado vise!
THE VERY BEST SOURCE OF INFO FOR THE GREEN INDUSTRY! ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i dunno. i agree about the guy w/ the magical mower....post it or shut up. I also agree that they should have gone w/ the ECS, woulda looked and been alot cooler for controlling. I like the looks of the exmark a whole lot better than that scag. Fiveoboy Nice work...the mower looks nasty!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well I have about 15 hours on the mower now....I think exmark did good. I used to have a wright stander...42. I hated that thing. It cut like crap mulched even worse. Dug in and left swirls at every turn. Was at the dealer many times, he even had me put like 60psi in front tires. Anyway...the vantage does none of that. Cuts good, mulches good, turns fast, platform comfy....I like it, we'll see how it holds up. I know tons of you use wright and love them, maybe I had a lemon who knows, but thats the only other stand on I ever had so thats all I had to compare it to. Wow time to change the sig...lol
Old 04-24-2010, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks to fiveoboy & tljco for their posts. I demoed the Vantage last week at my house and was ready to sign the check before I took it for a spin. Quite an adjustment to operate - I could not even go in a straight line and felt like a fool. I told the Exmark rep who brought the machine "Let me fire up my 52" TurfTracer and prove to ya I know how to cut". He said no problem there is a learning curve then he mowed my entire yard in about 5 min less than I could have w/my machine. I did notice it is not nearly as forgiving and the top & bottoms of hills, and I can see how a new operator could make a mess or do real damage until they are very familar w/the machine. The Vantage was equipped w/a mulch kit and even in damp tall Fescue, I thought the cut was very,very good. So now I don't know what to do next - I believe the stander design has advantages over both Z's and WB's, however. I not quite sure I want to spend 8k on a mower than before better in some but not all situations. I'd love a 30 day money back on this machine to really see if it fits my properties.
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 110 4-Mix String Trimmer
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Sthil HS-81 Hedge Trimmer
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator
Lawn Soultions WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers
Old 04-24-2010, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I not quite sure I want to spend 8k on a mower than before better in some but not all situations. I'd love a 30 day money back on this machine to really see if it fits my properties.[/QUOTE]

You might see if you could arrange an extended demo. The local dealer here has offered to let me use one for a week. It is taking guys a while to get used to the controls.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great point about an extended demo, the dealer did call me back that day to see how things went. I need to get back to him. I will say that the Exmark rep (Chad) was very helpful, knowledgeable, and quite honest about the machine.
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 110 4-Mix String Trimmer
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Sthil HS-81 Hedge Trimmer
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator
Lawn Soultions WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers