Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2010, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

how long between apps is ok?

I have a normally scheduled program, but what do you guys do about new customers? I don't spray full time, it is just a supplement for my mowing customers. So I spend a few days spraying and then stop.

What is the absolute minimium between apps you could use? I would like to get everyone on the same schedule. Looks like I will have 3-4 weeks since I last sprayed the new pick ups.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It all depends on the release curve of the fertilizer you put down, and the weed pressure in the lawn.

What did you put down for fert, what percentage was slow release? What is the release mechanism? (Poly Coated? Sulfer Coated?)

How bad are the weeds in the lawn, what type of weeds did the lawn have, how healthy is the lawn. Do you have a soil test to reference back to?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good grief Lush.

4 - 5 weeks.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Early in the year I keep them at 45 days apart. But on round three I will space them out to 60 plus days and use a 100% XCU product so it will keep them greener longer.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lushgreen asks some valid questions, all things to consider.
Ignore the unconstructive comment on this thread.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-14-2010, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I have a normally scheduled program, but what do you guys do about new customers? I don't spray full time, it is just a supplement for my mowing customers. So I spend a few days spraying and then stop.

What is the absolute minimium between apps you could use? I would like to get everyone on the same schedule. Looks like I will have 3-4 weeks since I last sprayed the new pick ups.
I'm assuming your asking about spraying, not fertilizing?...i've always heard 4 weeks to be safe, but if you have had a lot of rain after your app i dont see waht 3 weeks would be a peoblem. keep in mind many states regulate how many times a blanket app can be done in a year.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

yes just talking spraying. my fert is all granular and i'm very familiar with that.

What I'm asking is that about 5 weeks ago I did round 1 and it is now time to do round 2. between the two rounds i have picked up and sprayed multiple new clients. i want to get everyone on the same schedule so i don't have to go out and spray 1 or 2.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedPro View Post
Good grief Lush.

4 - 5 weeks.
4-5 weeks? My schedule is much different than that.

Maybe thats because I use a different fertilizer than you. In order to give a true estimate, you need to know some specifics about fertilizer.

Many States are getting very restrictive about what types of fertilizers can be applied when, because nutrients are showing up in waterways. The cause, homeowners (and commercial applicators who don't know what they are doing) over applying.

He could be applying AS, or a methyl coated season long fert for that matter, would you still make that recommendation?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
yes just talking spraying. my fert is all granular and i'm very familiar with that.

What I'm asking is that about 5 weeks ago I did round 1 and it is now time to do round 2. between the two rounds i have picked up and sprayed multiple new clients. i want to get everyone on the same schedule so i don't have to go out and spray 1 or 2.
Gotcha! Check the label on your herbicide, but I would think you'd be good to spray again on the regular schedule. If you blanket sprayed with round one, all you should need to do is spot spray the second time anyway.

If you spot sprayed round one, then I would continue the trend and spot again, unless for some reason weed pressures have increased since then.

Personally, I blanket spray everyone for round one with a good Ester based herbicide, and minor spot spraying is all I need for the rest of the year usually.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushGreenLawn View Post
4-5 weeks? My schedule is much different than that.

Maybe thats because I use a different fertilizer than you. In order to give a true estimate, you need to know some specifics about fertilizer.

Many States are getting very restrictive about what types of fertilizers can be applied when, because nutrients are showing up in waterways. The cause, homeowners (and commercial applicators who don't know what they are doing) over applying.

He could be applying AS, or a methyl coated season long fert for that matter, would you still make that recommendation?
He said in the first line he has a normally scheduled program which is 4-5 weeks in most parts of the country.

He was asking when to do new sales that he does a round on later than his normal applications that still fall within that rounds timing.

They get done on the same schedule as everyone else which is.....4-5 weeks and if they are out of sync then that's the breaks. You can make up a week here or there and hopefully get them in line with the rest a few rounds down the road. If he is concerned about weed control timing a simple company generated courtesy service call will cure that.

I think you misunderstood his question, and got a little to "Into it"

It doesn't sound like he is applying some exotic fertilizer products, but standard products.

What does doing a soil test have to do with his original question anyhow.

Last edited by SeedPro; 04-14-2010 at 08:16 PM.