Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Petunias this time of year

Planted petunias in the fall (Louisiana) for an apartment entrance. The irrigation system wasnt reaching them so they died out. I planted a few more,replaceing the dead ones,had the maintenance crew water them, and they died out again.
There are investors/general managers coming in town at the end of this month for a board meeting/inspection. Im trying to get somewhat of a bloom to make the entrance look alive.
I just replaced all of the dead ones with fresh ones. I added garden soil before planting, and I put down liquid Miracle Grow. The irrigation system has since been fixed. I plan to continue adding Miracle Grow every 7 days as suggested on the label and keep the ground moist as best I can.

Main concern: It is late in the season for these flowers to bloom and temperatures are 78-80 during the hottest part of the day. Am I wasteing my time or will they bloom if I keep caring for them?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't understand without seeing a photo of the area where you have them planted.
How much sun reaches them daily.?? We are just now planting Petunia's commercially and need hotter temps to keep them thriving...............! Is that all the temp you have daily?
In planting and bed preparation, we till the bed down 6 inches and add aged compost and often triple phosphate to the soil. There are products like bone meal,blood meal, and others that are great for supplying slow release nutrients to growing--flowering annuals. They will require a lot of nutrients to stay active. I have never had any issues with Miracle grow or Thrive liquid, but if the plants are drying out too much, they will suffer. This makes me ask you the question of did you till or loosen the soil in the planting area. If you planted them in single holes on hard soils, the clay pot effect will kill them for sure. Water cannot escape the holes and will give you root rots.
I don't know of the growing conditions and site they are planted in. The experiences we incur is too much water during the hot season and concrete heat radiation. It will boil them out of the edges of the beds.