Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2010, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Lazer Z blade stuck on / spindle replacement

Year: 2000, Lazer Z HP-52" S/N 220,000-259,999

One of my guys hit something REALLY hard, with the center spindle which will not back out for anything. I've put everything on it, last attempt was 3/4 impact @ ~1600 or so ft/lb

So.. I ordered a whole new spindle assembly (#58 on the diagram if you care)

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=e...29&dn=40320013

My question is, (since the blade is stuck on..) whats the most efficient way to get the pulley off / is there a specific puller I'm going to need? or any other random issues I could expect to encounter.
I am operating under the assumption that if I get the pulley off, I can just throw it out, drop the old assembly (blade included) through the deck, throw the new one in, and eat grass; realistic assumption?

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblower View Post
Year: 2000, Lazer Z HP-52" S/N 220,000-259,999

One of my guys hit something REALLY hard, with the center spindle which will not back out for anything. I've put everything on it, last attempt was 3/4 impact @ ~1600 or so ft/lb

So.. I ordered a whole new spindle assembly (#58 on the diagram if you care)

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=e...29&dn=40320013

My question is, (since the blade is stuck on..) whats the most efficient way to get the pulley off / is there a specific puller I'm going to need? or any other random issues I could expect to encounter.
I am operating under the assumption that if I get the pulley off, I can just throw it out, drop the old assembly (blade included) through the deck, throw the new one in, and eat grass; realistic assumption?

Thanks!
have you tried a torch to heat the shaft? that and a very long leverage bar. Use an old deck runner wheel to pinch between the blade and the deck. get a STRONG six sided socket, and a 6-8 ft leverage and let er rip

If you do have to end up pulling the pulley , i would recommend a torch as well. Heat expands cold contracts
Old 04-15-2010, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info, I've already torched it though, and shattered 2 or 3 breaker bars running out to about 4 or 5' from the bolt head, with a 4x4 locking the blade in place. The last bar was a craftsman too (following a harbor freight casualty).

But as far as you know If I get that pulley off there's nothing else that will prevent it from dropping through the deck? (obviously the bolts..)
Old 04-15-2010, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yea thats as far as I know.. I have had a similar experience with that deck, and hitting the blades on a stump. I think the assembly comes with a shaft, so all you need is to remove the pulley and the whole thing comes off.

its so true that noone cares about your stuff like you do. workers dont pay for the equipment , so they just dont seem to care that much.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is torching it and then there is torching it.

Heat that thing up until it is cherry red and then put the breaker bar to it. It'll come loose.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 04-15-2010, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Took mine to the dealer and 15 minutes later and $85 later I was back on the trailer.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They charged you $85 bucks for 15 minutes for what, to take off a bolt?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Name:  IMG00175-20100425-2110.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  56.5 KB

puller just bent the pulley after 5 mins of torching. I will admit I didn't get it "cherry red" as my torch is not as hot as some and I am more impatient than others. Anyways, this took about 10 minutes with harbor freight angle grinder, which allowed the whole assembly to fall right through the deck. New assembly was on in no time (210 bucks later..)

Thanks for all the advice