Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Gravely
User Name
Password
Home Gravely.com Parts Find a Dealer About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk behind Weight?

I can't seem to find the Weight listed any where for the new walkbehind mowers.

I'm thinking of a 48" hydro floating deck with about 17hp maybe for next season ??
just trying to compare machines.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Pro Weights...

My Manual provides data up to the Pro G 17HP 48", the weight is listed as 627 lbs.

My 15 HP 48" Pro G is 570...

I would estimate the hydro units add at least 40 lbs? Your may be looking at close to 675 lbs.

Sorry for the lack of a definitive answer - you're now in the ballpark.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:16 PM

Pro H Weight

The weight of the Pro H1748 is approx. 690 lbs. I'm sorry we don't have this information available yet. Our next printing of the literature will be updated.

Regards,
Dan Kilgas
Old 07-02-2002, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the info.

Now does anyone know how I figure out lbs per sq in ground pressure given the tire sizes and the machine weight?

I like the large tire size of the gravely but with that heavy of a machine is It going to more or less ground pressure than some of the ones with amaller tires but lighter weight?

I'm mainly compareing to exmark and Hustler 48" wb. I currently run a 36" lesco gear .

Thanks for bearing with me . I've just been thinking oabout these things lately.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Location: sw Ohio, Wilmington (the wettest place in the state)
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulJ
Thanks for the info.

Now does anyone know how I figure out lbs per sq in ground pressure given the tire sizes and the machine weight?

About as close as you come is to compare recommended tire pressures.
My mowers' tire pressure can vary from 18 psi down to 9 psi. Of course the weight of the machine stays the same, but the footprint of the tire grows with the lower pressures. I've been running 11 psi this spring, but may increase a little for summer to extend tire wear.

Dave
Old 07-02-2002, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulJ
Thanks for the info.

I like the large tire size of the gravely but with that heavy of a machine is It going to more or less ground pressure than some of the ones with amaller tires but lighter weight?

I'm mainly compareing to exmark and Hustler 48" wb. I currently run a 36" lesco gear .

Thanks for bearing with me . I've just been thinking oabout these things lately.
Paul,
Besides a fairly wide tire foot print, Hustler offers an optional much wider tire over 10 inches wide. However, for a mear $100, I changed my Hustler over to a 20" tire with a very small 8" rim. This offers a balloon soft rider like a Dixie Chopper. And that, in turn, let's Hustler compete with a 10 mph ztr's speed and cutting quality, when combined with a good velky.

Pete
Old 07-02-2002, 10:50 AM

Unit Weight

The calculation to figure out the ground pressure per sq. in. is not that easy. First you need to know the Static loaded radius at a given PIS. Then you need the unit weight for both front & rear, and the foot plate size of the tire. The most difficult thing to get our hands on is the foot plate size as the company doesn't have it.

Anyway, I would estimate the PSI of the 1748 to be about 4 ~ 5 psi per sq. in. As a side note, an average person of 180 psi and a size 9 shoe would give you 9 psi per sq. in.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Dan Kilgas
Old 07-03-2002, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys
I guess I never thought that a couple lbs tire pressure whjould make that much difference in the ground pressure. I'll have to check may mower again and see where I'm at.

Pete I'd like to see a pic of that tire setup.

thanks again
Closed Thread