Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was also wondering about this since exmark now puts FS series engines on their Metro line.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=313127
Old 04-18-2010, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
Mike, I don't know if the info that I have is correct. This is my interpretation of the ambiguous info on Kawasaki's site. It does not say "heavy duty" air filtration, it says "redesigned air cleaner and blower housings." Here is a link to Kawasaki's webpage on the FH-KAI engines:

http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/series.aspx?id=6
I follow the site and I don't interprete the way you did. I see different sizes engine and/or V twins etc. I did see FJ180 without vs FJ180 KAI with oil filter.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
I follow the site and I don't interprete the way you did. I see different sizes engine and/or V twins etc. I did see FJ180 without vs FJ180 KAI with oil filter.

My point exactly. The description is ambiguous and open to interpretation. I wish they would put a chart showing the different engine series and the differences. It would also be helpful if they labeled the series with consumer applications.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
My point exactly. The description is ambiguous and open to interpretation. I wish they would put a chart showing the different engine series and the differences. It would also be helpful if they labeled the series with consumer applications.
Maybe they are all commercial quality. For example, they don't have anything for 21" wb mower other than the commercial FJ180 KAI. For that, it has cast lining and all, it is a true commercial engine. I don't know of anything consummer quality Kawi engine used in consummer products. All the bigger mowers uses Kawi are commercial mowers. They don't seems to be like Honda that have the GC engine for consummer and GX for pros.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Maybe they are all commercial quality. For example, they don't have anything for 21" wb mower other than the commercial FJ180 KAI. For that, it has cast lining and all, it is a true commercial engine. I don't know of anything consummer quality Kawi engine used in consummer products. All the bigger mowers uses Kawi are commercial mowers. They don't seems to be like Honda that have the GC engine for consummer and GX for pros.
That's a good point. Even the FR691V (listed as consumer by Kawasaki) that is on my father-in-law's Husqvarna lawn tractor has the same piston and heads as the FX691V on my Gravely ZTR.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Somebody recently told me what the KAI is for, but I cant recall what it was now?
Old 04-18-2010, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

When I recently attended a Kawasaki service school they told us all Kawi engines were of the same quality block, rods, pistons. The main differences were charging systems and accessories. I.E. air filters etc.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Also, Kawasaki does not refer to their air filtration system as heavy duty. Ie, the FX series info says "dual stage canister air filter", which in my opinion, is heavy duty.
Mike, What is said here is what I would call heavy duty. Mike, this is what I'd consider a heavy duty air filter http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detai...id=46&cat_id=5
Old 04-19-2010, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer_Z View Post
Mike, What is said here is what I would call heavy duty. Mike, this is what I'd consider a heavy duty air filter http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detai...id=46&cat_id=5
That is what I consider heavy duty too. but since my FH580V has the piece of foam wrapped around the paper filter, maybe that qualifies it to be called heavy duty? I didnt know they put canister air filters on engines smaller than 19hp either? That one was a 16hp.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I didn't know they did that either, I have this engine on my mower http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detai...id=16&cat_id=3 . That has the flat filter, the newer engines that I've seen are the KAI, I haven't see any with the engines like the one mounted on this eXmark Viking http://exmark.com/viking.htm .