Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2010, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Echo PB770 Blower Review

I just wanted to give a review on my recently purchased Echo PB770 blower. Last month I decided to replace my 2005 Redmax 8000 blower. It had been my favourite blower but was getting a little long in the tooth. I narrowed my choices down to:
1. Echo PB770 ($599 Canadian)
2. Shindaiwa EB8520 ($729 Canadian)

I tested both blowers out at my dealer's parking lot and the Echo appeared to outblow the Shindaiwa. Given this and the cheaper price, I decided to get the PB770 eventhough overall, I liked the Shindaiwa better.

Here's my experience so far:
Positives
1. Easy Starting
2. Much lighter than the Redmax.
3. Runs smooth
4. Good straps and the little "air conditioning" unit on the back is nice.

Negatives
1. Does not seem to have the same power as the unit I demoed in the dealer's parking lot. I did a test today where I used my Stihl BR600 (2006 model) and the Echo to move the same debris. The Stihl BR600 did it quicker and more efficiently. The Echo didn't seem to want to move it as quickly and with as much force.
2. Fuel. The 63 cc engine on this Echo really sucks fuel. After 10 minutes of use, almost 1/4 of the 2 litre tank was finished.
3. Tubes are short. I'm 5 foot 11 and I find it a hassle to have to bend down and blow things. A bigger person would have even more problems.
4. Short tubes mean you have to almost be on top of the debris to blow it.

Overall, it's a good blower. I hope that the power increases after the break-in-period of 2 tanks. This is the one thing I'm disappointed with.

I bought the blower to surpass my Redmax 8000 performance. According to Echo and the data they gave, it was supposed to do it but real-world testing seems to prove the opposite. Right now, if I could, I'd like to return the unit and either get the Shindaiwa EB8520 or Husqvarna 180BT (The equal of the Redmax 8001/8050..no Redmax dealers here)
Old 04-18-2010, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

why not another stihl br600?
Old 04-18-2010, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the 550 or w/e it is and the tubes aren't short at all, infact sometimes their too long! Gas dosent burn up like you say either.
Posted via Mobile Device