Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Pet Waste Removal - Want to mow!

I am new to this site and an entrepreneur to the core. I'm 28, out of SW VA and for 2 years I have been scooping poop for a living. It's only part time but I have around 30 customers I service on a weekly basis. Here is the site: www.TheScoopGroup.net

I am now highly considering starting a landscaping service that mow's, trims, edges etc. I took landscaping in high school but that was obviously 10 years ago so I have forgotten a lot of it. Right now all I have is a push mower and I couldn't even tell you the brand without walking down in my basement so I am far from being ready.

That being said there are 3 reasons I would love to get into this biz.
1. Being outside, period!
2. The income per yard is significantly higher than what I charger for scooping
3. I have noticed that a lot of my customers also use a lawn service and feel that my service goes hand in hand.

Over the next year I'd like to start accumulating necessary equipment for next year, let the economy heal some more, learn a sh*t ton, and be ready to market myself by the spring. I may even get a job with a landscaping company a few days a week to learn and/or take a class or 2 at the local community college.

What are your thoughts and opinions on me adding landscaping to my provided services?

It seems that there are a ton of Landscapers in my area I don't know if it should deter me or make me realize there is a ton of work to be had.

Thanks for any input!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been in the green business for over 30 years and have done every aspect, and the most important think I have learned is that offering too many services turns into a head ache with decreasing profits. I learned that doing a few things very well and increasing volume paid much higher profits and made life better.

Having said that I would expand your present service and add more accounts, concentrate customer area and more closely related services.

I happen to have an absolute winner for an add on service - repairing those damaged dog spots with the Grass Stitcher (www.grassstitcher.com) I'm about to release a how-to video on how the GS dissipates the ammonium and seeds at the same time see the preview on my facebook - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...1775575?ref=ts . Don't take my word for it try it out - it works unbelievable. In fact if you call I'll give you free shipping (about $14.00 value) till end of this month and anyone who mentions Lawnsite

One more tip - make a brochure, insert in a plastic bag with rocks, write on the brochure the price of service and go to every potential homeowner and toss at the mailbox or driveway, some may not like it but it works.

Good luck.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Funny, I was just browsing different lawn care websites yesterday to get ideas and came across one that also offers pet waste removal. I thought that was pretty silly...but I guess there really is a market for it. They call it the Doo Crew.

www.qualitycutlawncare.com/
Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you expand your existing business to include goose waste removal for parks HOAS, golf courses etc.If you get into landscaping you will be up against a lot of established, cut throat competition,you already seem to have your niche,just need to grow some more.The cost for commercial grade landscape equipment,plus commercial insurance,liability etc. could easily run 15-20G.If you don't get enough accounts to service you will have bought yourself an expensive hobby.jmo
Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the area and there are so many unlicensed people out here mowing it will be hard to catch any business. Go on craigslist and look. I saw someone advertising the other day for any size 35.00 bucks, also saw 8.00/hr no matter what you want them to do.

Also realize that in roanoke you can't pull a permit for a landscaping company without a commercially zoned address.

I'm south of you but hit a few properties in Roanoke for a friend of mine.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Really? So pretty much there is no reason for me to get into this from what it sounds like. I agree that Roanoke is saturated but keep in mind I would love to make 20k or so off landscaping. Obviously the more the better but pet waste service is fairly profitable and if I could throw in about 20-30k on landscaping I would be set.

But then again maybe I would be wasting my time.........
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScoopGroup View Post
Really? So pretty much there is no reason for me to get into this from what it sounds like. I agree that Roanoke is saturated but keep in mind I would love to make 20k or so off landscaping. Obviously the more the better but pet waste service is fairly profitable and if I could throw in about 20-30k on landscaping I would be set.

But then again maybe I would be wasting my time.........
so would I
Old 04-20-2010, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

you would be set or wasting your time? I truly can't believe the number of lawn care businesses I see around town, it's amazing!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScoopGroup View Post
you would be set or wasting your time? I truly can't believe the number of lawn care businesses I see around town, it's amazing!
I just wouldn't mind making another 20k off mowing. There are tons of companies and even more "companies". I'm just glad that I've got the lawns I've got through business connections and whether I mow any other lawns all year I can still make a little bit of money each week.

I actually looked into doing the pet waste removal gig but it was right when the recession was hitting so I didn't figure I would be able to get many new customers.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a good thing going with it and I have a solid customer base but have seemed to hit a wall probably due to the recession. I would love to grow the biz but it has become a difficult task at this point in time.

This is exactly why I was looking into lawn care but maybe I should just keep my focus and continue to push with what I have going.

Tags
care , lawn , pet , waste