Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2010, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I had looked on your web site but that rates page wasn't loading. I don't know if it was my browser or not. But thanks for getting back to me with the info.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I just checked again and still nothing but a green blank box....
Old 05-06-2010, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Met with a gentleman tonight that has been in the lawn care industry since the mid 70's and is on his way out. After a meal and a few cold ones he told me he would be happy to lend me a 5 year old 48" gravely walk behind, backpack blower, and trimmer to get me started. If I like it I can buy it, if I don't I can give it back, if it blows up - sh*t happens is what he told me.

Now how cool is that! I'm hitting the streets tomorrow to see if I can pick up any business! Looking for the American dream - wish me luck
Old 05-16-2010, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just be careful man. dont lose ur poop scoopin biz by shootin a rock thru a BMW window or a storm window. people are "sue crazy" and will try to dig into ur pockets any way possible. especially here in VA....evryone ive met here so far is cheap as Shitttte. thinkin bout movin back north
Old 10-11-2010, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

FYI - You can buy your Grass Stitcher at any John Deere Landscapes service center, if you don't see them in the store ask them to order some.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am sure poop scoopin is profitable in this pet-obsessed country.
I am just not sure I would want to pick up dung for a living.......that seems like a mental obstacle to me.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 10-14-2010, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=TheScoopGroup;3529472]I am new to this site and an entrepreneur to the core. I'm 28, out of SW VA and for 2 years I have been scooping poop for a living. It's only part time but I have around 30 customers I service on a weekly basis. Here is the site: www.TheScoopGroup.net

I am now highly considering starting a landscaping service that mow's, trims, edges etc. I took landscaping in high school but that was obviously 10 years ago so I have forgotten a lot of it. Right now all I have is a push mower and I couldn't even tell you the brand without walking down in my basement so I am far from being ready.

That being said there are 3 reasons I would love to get into this biz.
1. Being outside, period!

2. The income per yard is significantly higher than what I charger for scooping
3. I have noticed that a lot of my customers also use a lawn service and feel that my service goes hand in hand.

Over the next year I'd like to start accumulating necessary equipment for next year, let the economy heal some more, learn a sh*t ton, and be ready to market myself by the spring. I may even get a job with a landscaping company a few days a week to learn and/or take a class or 2 at the local community colleg

What are your thoughts and opinions on me adding landscaping to my provided services?

It seems that there are a ton of Landscapers in my area I don't know if it should deter me or make me realize there is a ton of work to be had.

Thanks for any input![/QUOTE
I'd like to get into the lawn care biz bit lack start up capital. Maybe your type of biz would be a good start for me. If you don't mind answering a
few questions, how did you get started? What were start up costs? What did you do for marketing? Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I got sick of stepping in dog crap at a few of my customer's, so I told him in order for me to continue to service his lawn he would have to pay for my dog waste removal service in addition to the lawn care. I was just testing the waters with it (bluffing) I didn't have a dog waste removal service. He said "How much do you charge?" and I now offer the service, depending on yard it usually only takes me 10 minutes and my shoes stay clean. $60 hour for dog waste removal, I base it completely on the size of yard.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't mind the dog waste work I think you may just have to invest more money in marketing. It does work, you just have to figure out what works best, definitely soon upfront time and money.

There are several companies in my area that are successful cleaning up poop. The best thing about your business is the overhead is very low, other than a vehicle.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

how do u price the poop scoop? property sq footage? how often do u visit? do u just scoop and leave or do u do something else while there?

Tags
care , lawn , pet , waste