Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2010, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydro leak on WB after a couple hours??

So I got my mower a bit over a year ago but my yard seeding bombed big time and never got to use my new 40" Toro WB w/ floating deck and pistol grips last season. I used it for the first time two weeks ago and again this week, I've got all of about 4 hours on it.

Tonight I noticed what appears to be some hydro fluid around the right wheel motor. It also appears as if the battery leaked a little acid that has turned some fittings white. I noticed the lower battery acid (about 1" low) last year and am about to top it up with some distilled water. I'm much more concerned with the hydro fluid on the hydro lines and on the body in a couple spots. The hydro fluid reservoir is ever so slightly below the "cool" line and the mower is totally cool.

Should I just top up the battery with water, top up the hydro fluid with Mobil 1, clean the area well and watch for leaks. Should I worry about the acid damaging the bolts?

Here's a picture, you can see the white residue from the acid and the hydro fluid on the hoses and body.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Sponsor

Mr. Moseley
Thank you purchasing a Toro midsize mower.
The battery has a vent opening on the top of the battery to prevent the battery from building up internal pressure. The battery is continuously venting even when it is not being used because of the chemical reaction of acid and lead. This liquid can get on to metal and create the white appearance once dried. The white appearance can be neutralized with baking soda and water. The metal hardware is not structurally affected but the hardware can rust once washed. To lose a small amount of liquid over time in a battery is a normal process and can be topped off with distilled water. From the photo you provided I can see a sheen in the opening of the battery vent. It is hard to determine the source the hydraulic fluid on the frame. Maybe if you lift the corrugated hose covers you can determine if the leak is hidden. The photo also shows a trail of liquid from the battery down to the wheel motor area. It's possible the moisture on the frame is coming from the battery not the hydraulic system.

-The Toro Company
Old 04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Member

It seems as if the spots on the frame are not from the battery but that is quite a coincidence for both to happen in the same area at the same time on a brand new machine. I will wash everything well and watch the area. I will also pull back the corrogated hose cover and inspect. I topped off the Mobil 1 hydro fluid last night, it was only 1-2 oz low.

My backyard is probably about 20 degree slope so that may have something to do with the battery acid leaking.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I think everything seen above was from the battery as I washed the area well and mowed for about 1.5 hours without any problems., I'll watch it though. Will the battery leak if angled enough? Are there any dry or gel cell batteries you can recommend once the current battery dies?
Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The battery can leak but I doubt it would that quickly. Not sure if there are any gel cell mower batteries.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Perhaps the battery was leaking some while being stored but I cannot tell for sure as I don't remember. I would like to think a battery on a WB which by nature (and the reason I bought a commercial WM mower) is especially good for mowing slopes wouldn't dump out acid on say a 20 degree slope.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanemoseley View Post
I think everything seen above was from the battery as I washed the area well and mowed for about 1.5 hours without any problems., I'll watch it though. Will the battery leak if angled enough? Are there any dry or gel cell batteries you can recommend once the current battery dies?
Zane -

Toro only offers a wet cell battery. You would have to visit your local automotive or battery store to purchase a proper sized battery in a different type.

-The Toro Company
Old 04-21-2010, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Would/should a slope of say 20 degrees cause spilling of acid or was this likely just due the the reactions in the battery pushing out the acid?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Sponsor

Zane
A wet cell battery has an open vent system. The vent is built into the cap of the battery that is to vent gases and let excess liquid out. The liquid in the battery is sloshing inside the battery while the mower is motion. When the mower is used at the maximum 20 degree angles and the battery liquid sloshing there is a good chance the liquid may be more prone to leak out the vent.
Operating this mower at a 20 degree angle is the maximum this product should be operated at for the operator safety and keeping control of the mower.

-The Toro Company