Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

PTO bolt was loose, now blowing fuse

Was mowing today and noticed that the mower ( 2007 Hustler Mini Z 19/44) had a weird vibration. Weird as I know I'm sitting on a mower right in front of the motor, but I could tell it just wasn't the same. I continued to mow and noticed a weird smell...got off the mower and walked around it. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. Anyway, long story short after 4th yard we were mowing the blades just quit. Wouldn't engage after shutting off the mower and then back on. Checked the fuses, and the blue 15 amp fuse was blown. I replaced it, pulled pto to engage the blades, the mower shut down instantly. Checked the same fuse, it was good. Now the 20 amp fuse was blown. Replaced it, tried again and it blew again. So I replaced it again and loaded it on the trailer and headed back to the house. I got under the mower and noticed the bolt that holds the pto on the underside of the mower was loose. I could see a gap between the bolt and the pto cover/housing. The pto housing was still pretty hot, even after sitting for almost an hour. So i tightened the bolt, started the mower and the strange vibration that I had felt most of the day was gone. When I pulled the knob to turn on the blades I blew the same 20 amp fuse. My dealer is closed, anyone got any suggestions I can try until the dealer opens. It's a Mini z, 19/44 bought on 2007 brand new with 165 hours on it. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just had a unit in last week that did the same thing (bolt loosened), It damaged/shorted the clutch out running loose. The fix was a new clutch and the bolt loc-tited in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 04-26-2010, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

You were right.....the clutch was toast. I did put loc-tite on the bolt so hopefully it will stay. I posted some pics up in the hustler forum for anyone who wants to see the damage.