Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-12-2010, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Cub Cadet 2542

My neighbor has a Cub Cadet 2542 that is probably 4 years old. He hasn't used it in a year and a half due to his job having him travel more. He said he had the tractor tires put on it when he bought it and he may still have the turf tires. I'm looking for a riding mower so I was asking him about it. He's not sure how many hours on it but it can't be many. What would you offer him for it? Haven't seen it lately but he would have taken very very good care of it.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I used to be a Cub dealer. Almost the entire line of Cub Cadet equipment, in general, has turned into poorly designed and cheaply built trash. The machine you are looking at it at the very top of the trash line of tractors. Or, it is right at the entry level of tractors that are still built fairly sturdy. The tractor is kind of a risky purchase since it right a the dividing line between "junk" and "not too bad".
You should expect to have carb. problems since it has set a good bit and the ethanol gas will have probably ruined the carb.
If you decide to take a chance on it, have a good Cub dealer close, and are not afraid to own something with the name "Cub" on it, you might offer $1000.00.
Personally, I would not buy it at any price.
I think it sold new for around $3200.00.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Mowingman, My neighbor said he paid $4000 new for it. He said he had only had it to the dealer twice since owning it for blades sharpened and lubed. With it sitting for almost 2 years, I am concerned.

What brand would you look for in a garden tractor? I hadn't heard anybody feel as strongly as you do about them. I had heard the ones from the big box stores aren't as good as the ones from cub dealers.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Cub dealer sell exactly the same tractor as the big box stores, EXACTLY the same. However, Cub dealers also have access to the higher priced tractors. As a dealer, I felt the true Cub tractor, that might be expected to hold up like the Cub tractors from the 70's and 80's, had a starting price of around $4500.00. Any Cub tractor selling for less had a lot of cheaply designed features.
I have not kept up with lawn tractors much, however, some pretty good models are still offered by the following manufacturers:
Husqvarna
Simplicity
John Deere
To get a real high quality, long lasting tractor, you might plan on spending at least $4000.00. Anything less, and you are getting into the big box store junk quality of machines.
So, in short, a few manufacturers still make a good lawn and garden tractor. Just be prepared to pay well over $4000.00 to get a good one.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I've got a Cub 2185 (Hydro w/Drive Shaft) with 300 hrs on it that I'll give you. Just to haul it away. How's that for an opinion of Cub Cadet and what I think of what Modern Tool and Die has done to the Cub Cadet name?
Just PM me and we'll do the hook up. I'm dead serious.
You don't even begin getting a piece of quality equipment until you crack the 3000 series.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Maxify55, if I was closer to you I might take you up on your offer. If you wanted a lawn or garden tractor, what brand would you look at? My problem is I don't have $4000 to spend on one.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinker97 View Post
Maxify55, if I was closer to you I might take you up on your offer. If you wanted a lawn or garden tractor, what brand would you look at? My problem is I don't have $4000 to spend on one.
I will chime in here. Listen if you can get that Cub for say $800 bucks, just buy it and use it for a few years, it should be fine for now. If you want to go 1 step further, you can look at some entry level ZTR's. Hustler makes a 42" sport model now that a lot of the members on here have bought and are giving good feedback on. Most people now opting for a ZTR rather than a lawn tractor for the home. Back to the Cub, if you are going to pay $1000 dollars, you would be better off going to Sears and buying a new lawn tractor. At least you will get a warranty and you have the option to buy an extended warranty, not to mention that you will have a brand new machine for around or a little more money.

You are in big trouble now, by the time we are all done with you, you will be cutting your lawn on a brand commercial ZTR, it happens a lot!!!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own