Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quick Owners. What parts do you keep on hand?

I bought a used Quick 36 Samurai during the off season and was wondering what parts I should keep on hand to prevent significant downtime. I realize it is a crap shoot when trying to predict what part will break down first. But I was hoping to gain some insight from seasoned Better Outdoor Product owners about what I should keep on hand. Also, if you have any tips on preventing break downs I would appreciate it!
Old 04-24-2010, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

BOP has a service parts kit you might consider. I have a Quick 36 Samurai and I bought most of the parts that are in their kit (I eliminated a couple of items as I am not using mine commercially).

Or, call BOP and as them, they seem pretty honest and straight forward to me.

Regards,

Rich
Old 04-24-2010, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I know the hitch pin type things that hold the caster forks on are said to go fairly quick. Other than that, my "quick fix" box for my machines includes several of the various size (same as stock) nuts bolts and washers, WD 40, a coat hanger, screwdriver, paint scraper, and 2 adjustable wrenches (8inch long I think). As for things like parts, I have belts on hand, tire plugs, maybe a spare tire somewhere, oil filters, oil, and PLENTY of cotter pins, hitch pins, etc etc of varying sizes and wire guages.

I find my trim side, front edge scalp wheel likes to catch and snap the bolt, its a quick cheap fix, so I keep those with me when I mow. Also the coat hanger is great for re tensioning springs, you can make it into a loop, and use the wrench to get some good leverage on it. (OR box end wrenches work GREAT). The hitch pins on my sulky attachment tend to get lost, and sometimes Ill hit a bump and one of the deck adjustment pins will go out. Belts I think should always have a spare, as its just too common for them to have potential problems.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

hamman - here is what I have found I have needed...

All belts (have at least one spare at all times), lynch pins for caster wheels and spacers for caster wheels (you wouldn't believe how many times you snag the pin and all the spacers fall off before you realize it), oil filter, air filter, blades, and perhaps the forward and reverse cables. Nothing major, and like a poster said above, there are service parts kits available prepackaged that are really just dandy.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-24-2010, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Belts, fuel filter, coil, pins, spacers,

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 04-24-2010, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info guys. Do you guys buy the belts from BOP or from your local parts store? I am going to call BOP and put together an order for spare parts. AZ, what do you mean by coil?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I get my belts from them, we tried from a local auto parts store but it was a little different and didn't work so well.

Coil electrical deal that makes spark. Ours went out in about a year and have read a thread that says the big Kawi engines are notorious for them going out.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 04-24-2010, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can find the belts locally, at least in my area I was able to. Cables for the controls, spindles are the only realy parts I keep on hand, everything else I can find at my local dealer.

Tags
better outdoor products , quick 36 , quick parts