Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2010, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pink Dogwood ???

My customer has a pink dog wood she has had for years. The past few years the tree has not bloomed, it does bud but does not fully bloom. Do these tree require any thing special or is their any fertilizers or injections I could do for it. Thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depends mostly on the site conditions.

This year in the Midwest the forsythias, magnolias, red-buds, dogwoods, etc... alll bloomed perfectly as we didn't have a cold snap to burn off the buds before or during blooming. It made for a wonderful color pallet across the countryside.

So what is probably happening to your client is that the dogwood might be in an exposed area and either the winter winds are damaging the blooms or they are freezing off in the spring after a warm spell has pushed them to start budding.

One of my clients has a red-bud, an existing dogwood, and one dogwood I planted last fall. They all bloomed this year and she said she couldn't remember the last time the existing ones bloomed like they did this year. Normally we get a warm spell and then a late cold snap, and her home is in the country side where it is more susceptible to freezing/frost in the spring.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see, it has been pretty cold up, is their any thing i should be feeding this tree to help it
Old 04-25-2010, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dogwoods tend to fail occasionally around here. Depending on where in NY you are you might be too close to the edge of the zone. They also are prone to borers which could be weakening the tree enough to still live, but not produce blooms. If replacement is an option, there are better flowering trees for the north east area.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im up in Rockland, the neighbors all have dog woods and theirs are thriving, is their any fertilizers or injections you guys would recommend to see if I can bring it to life