Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Mechanic's Help - Rebuilding Hydro Pumps?

I decided to tear apart the weak pump on my Super Z and the valve plate was gouged up pretty bad and there was heavy scoring on the cylinder block face. Everything else looked good with the exception of metal chunks in it. I can get the repair parts and a complete seal kit for $165.00. Anyone have good luck rebuilding these pumps? I tore the whole thing down and there is no other damage anywhere. I also plan to flush the newly rebuilt drive motor to make sure none of the metal got into it when I tested it. Is a flush good enough or should I tear into that too?
Old 04-25-2010, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would defiantly take the motor apart. You might have destroyed the repair already. The oil tank should be cleaned also. The debris will work on the filter over time. As for the pump, luck shouldn't have anything to do with it. If you had a wheel motor fail, your luck isn't that good.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
I would defiantly take the motor apart. You might have destroyed the repair already. The oil tank should be cleaned also. The debris will work on the filter over time. As for the pump, luck shouldn't have anything to do with it. If you had a wheel motor fail, your luck isn't that good.
Point taken, I'll order another seal kit for the wheel motor and dig into it too.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Done. Everything is back together and it runs like a greased pig. The motor had no contaminants, however I had recently had it rebuilt before tackling the pump and found out the manifold was in backwards and there was a tooth missing on the drive link (no wonder it wasn't working right). That missing tooth had to have been the source for all the damage. I guess if you need something done right do it yourself.

Anyway, if anyone ever needs to rebuild a motor I can highly recommend getting the parts from Central Hydraulic in Daytona Beach, FL. Shipping was lightning fast and they sent me an upgraded drive link that should prevent the broken tooth problem. The most difficult part of the rebuild was cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning. I used a spray bottle with mineral spirits and dried everything with a compressor. I also removed and cleaned all the hoses and lines. I tested everything today and there are no leaks, etc. and everything is smooth.