Register free!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Member

General Purpose Seeds - Growth Rate

I am currently using a general purpose lawn seeds with 60% red fescue and the rest is Kentucky and perennial and annual rye grass. The problem is that in the shaded area the rye grass is predominant and grow 2-3 time faster than the fescue. Is there a way to control its growth in line with the fescue so I don't get growth spurts here and there ?
Old 04-26-2010, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTLawn View Post
I am currently using a general purpose lawn seeds with 60% red fescue and the rest is Kentucky and perennial and annual rye grass. The problem is that in the shaded area the rye grass is predominant and grow 2-3 time faster than the fescue. Is there a way to control its growth in line with the fescue so I don't get growth spurts here and there ?
In the U.S you can use the plant growth regulator Primo Maxx in residential turf, but apparently not in Canada:
http://msds.plantprod.com/document/174

If I were you, I'd Roundup-out all the rye in the shade and in the future stick with 100% creeping red fescue & kentucky bluegrass blend, just for these shaded areas.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The biggest problems I have seen with people using blends are . Using blends with over 30% P.R. and no more that 10% A.R. .They run over the lawn spreading and drilling copious amount of seed and can not figure out why the early germinating seeds such A.R and P.R. dominated the lawn and choke out the fescue and blue grass .If they are gonna double or triple the amount of recommended seed then the blend should be adjusted or applied at corrrect rate , even if it means a fall over seed may be needed .

Last edited by naughty62; 04-28-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rye is faster and a little on the aggresive side. It does as well in shade as fine fescue. Live with the rye. but in heavy shade no grass will last through the hot months and high soil temps of August.