Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are new replacement blades consistently uneven?

I was checking the level & pitch on my 60" deck and noticed the replacement blades were not consistent with each other. In other words, when set on a flat surface or against a straight edge, some were flat, some were bowed up. Now, all I had were slightly to moderately used. The blades are Oregon #91-253 and their Fusion #491-506. I have never hit anything substantial, I'm only mowing my property. I don't currently have any new blades to check. Some of these blades may have less than 4 hours on them. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has ever checked new blades and noticed this? I happen to notice about 1/8" difference in the center blade and the left and right blades, due to the center blade being slightly bowed up and the left and right blade being flat. I checked at the point were the blades passed by each other. Thanks for any insight on this subject.

Age 47
Manager of a small business for 20+ years "not mine & not lawn care"
Would rather own a jet ski and be active on a jet ski forum but instead I own a 2006 Gravely 160XDZ and, well here I am.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting you say that, I just noticed with some blades I ordered there is a
substantial difference in the thickness of the steel, so much in fact that they're
heavier than the rest...

So, not all blades are made the same.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what you get with cheap blades. If they fit go pick up some scag marbain blades, their a little pricey but they stay sharp longer and are the best I have used.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenery View Post
Thats what you get with cheap blades. If they fit go pick up some scag marbain blades, their a little pricey but they stay sharp longer and are the best I have used.
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you ever checked them with a straight edge? I'm wanting to buy consistent blades from now on, so please let me know what you find out. As long as they are 20.5" with a 5/8" center hole, should be an option for me. Thanks: John

Age 47
Would rather own a jet ski and be active on a jet ski forum but instead I own a 2006 Gravely 160XDZ and, well here I am.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call up your scag dealer ask them the size and bring a straight edge with you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2010, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenery View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
cheap? i think not.. i swear by fusions the gator and the high lift both ive looked at some of my blades the high lifts are all the same a perfect 1/4" and the gators are all 3/16" thick one thing ive noticed with the gators is that on some blades the fins stick up more than others or at least they look that way never put a tape measure to them
Old 04-27-2010, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By johnwons description They sound like crap to me. They may not be cheap but i prefer my blades to consistently be straight. I'll stick with the scag blades.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2010, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The issue I'm seeing don't seem to be a thickness problem. They look like they are intended to be flat on the side facing the grass, this includes the cutting edge. What I see is, some are flat, some are bowed up from the center to the tip. The bow is progressively worse from the center to the tip. Also the bow is not the same on both ends on a few I checked. Most of the blades I checked were 91-253's I only have four of the Fusions. Only one of the four Fusions are flat, but the bowed ones did not look to be bowed as much as the 91-253's.

Age 47