Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

CTL Tracks

Is it time?

The brand...

This T300 got 1,7xx hrs. out of the OEM Bridgestone tracks. Our equipment manager told me proudly that he found aftermarket replacements a lot cheaper. The replacements were Soliddeal.....they lasted for less than 300 hrs. They were replaced with these Prowlers that lasted for close to 800 hrs.

Here is what we just put on...

All of our CTL's are experiencing pretty much the same thing.

I remember a Caterpillar advertising campaign where the tag line was, "The cheapest price isn't always the cheapest price".

Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That just reinforces my notion that Soliddeal is crap. If you always have good luck with OEM tracks, stay with OEM tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's my point. Here we are with the mechanics time and expense thereof to install the third set of tracks since the originals, the purchase price of three sets of aftermarket tracks, and we're a little over half of what the OEM lasted. Our machines are being operated doing the same scope of work as they have done since day 1 and so far, OEM is the winner.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

what kind of conditions are you working in? 1700 hrs seems impressive and 800 hours seems good, too. 300 hours, though...I'd be writing the company president..

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 04-28-2010, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I think you did really good to get 1700hrs out of a set of tracks. All I can get is around 600 hours max. I've got 1450hrs on the tak and its on the 3rd set of tracks. It always rips the lugs out of the tracks when they go. the tracks always have 50%+ of tread left.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

http://www.youtube.com/user/letsdig18

New facebook fan page
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Letsdi...3541611?v=wall

Old 04-28-2010, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Both of you are making me realize we got exceptional life out of our first set of tracks.... That kind of performance wasn't limited to this one T300. We have 6 CTL's and while I can't recite the hours the first set lasted on all of them, I can tell you the #02 T250 went 19xx hrs. (they were scary junk by then) and the #07 T300 went 18xx hrs. Like I said, this T300, the #08 went 17xx hrs. on the first set. We really don't tippie toe around babying any of them. We grade a lot of hand pours with them, work them on slopes, especially under bridges. We pay no attention as to the soil conditions whether it's rocky or golden loam.

Chris, what kind of tracks are you running on your Takkie?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
Both of you are making me realize we got exceptional life out of our first set of tracks.... That kind of performance wasn't limited to this one T300. We have 6 CTL's and while I can't recite the hours the first set lasted on all of them, I can tell you the #02 T250 went 19xx hrs. (they were scary junk by then) and the #07 T300 went 18xx hrs. Like I said, this T300, the #08 went 17xx hrs. on the first set. We really don't tippie toe around babying any of them. We grade a lot of hand pours with them, work them on slopes, especially under bridges. We pay no attention as to the soil conditions whether it's rocky or golden loam.

Chris, what kind of tracks are you running on your Takkie?
I can't recall the brand but they look Identical to the tread pattern on your new ones.

"Life is like running a motor grader. You have to look down the road and plan for whats ahead and not down at your feet!"

New facebook fan page

Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman2007 View Post
I think you did really good to get 1700hrs out of a set of tracks. All I can get is around 600 hours max. I've got 1450hrs on the tak and its on the 3rd set of tracks. It always rips the lugs out of the tracks when they go. the tracks always have 50%+ of tread left.
A person can get more hours out of a set of tracks, it just comes down to how you use your machine. If traction is important and you're in mud a lot, you don't want bald tracks. Worn tracks will also beat the sh!t out of your machine, especially on hard ground or pavement.

I've also had the best luck with OEM Bridgestones. The Camoplast didn't seem bad... I've heard good and bad on the Solideals. Stay away from the cheap knockoffs IMO.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerman21 View Post
A person can get more hours out of a set of tracks, it just comes down to how you use your machine. If traction is important and you're in mud a lot, you don't want bald tracks. Worn tracks will also beat the sh!t out of your machine, especially on hard ground or pavement.

I've also had the best luck with OEM Bridgestones. The Camoplast didn't seem bad... I've heard good and bad on the Solideals. Stay away from the cheap knockoffs IMO.
It gets used, no lie. each time one breaks its always when the machines in the deep mud doing a lot of really hard pushing.

New facebook fan page

Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerman21 View Post

I agree. The last half of track wear on my machine hurts performance in mud and wet conditions. I am on pace to make well over 1000 hours on the tracks but the shorter the lugs are the worse the wet traction. It still performs well but there is a drop off in performance.