Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Black Plastic Edging - How to Install?

Regarding this product:

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID...paign=DATAFEED

I have no experience with plastic edging, how would you install this? Is it even any good? The customer has a property with stone paver edging in all of her beds. There is roughly 600' of edging to remove, and replace with correct plastic landscape edging (like the one pictured above). How would you install such a product?

I think we're going to just use a shovel and edge like a regular mulch bed, hammer down this plastic edge with stakes or nails, backfill and drop crushed stone in the beds. Voila.

Is this work going to be as easy as 1-2-3, or am I missing something.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5839464544536#

Bedscaper, then back fill with rake.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

plastic edging that will be junk in 5 years YUUK. up sell on the steel or aluminum.

but basically the way you said it is how you do it... make sure you take it out of the package a day or two before so it has a chance to uncurl. makes it easier to work with when its not trying to coil it self around your arms and legs...
Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
plastic edging that will be junk in 5 years YUUK. up sell on the steel or aluminum.

but basically the way you said it is how you do it... make sure you take it out of the package a day or two before so it has a chance to uncurl. makes it easier to work with when its not trying to coil it self around your arms and legs...
yeah that stuff pisses me off. its so hard to get it to lay strait without curling up
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHL GUY View Post
yeah that stuff pisses me off. its so hard to get it to lay strait without curling up
in florida 15 years ago it was the rage and everyone wanted it...huge PITA....I did it. I hated doing it. but money talks...
Old 04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree that plastic edging has less eye appeal and tends to shift in colder climates. I do not recommend it as a restraint for a gravel path. The backlash of steel edging is liability. In locations with pedestrians or pets, there is a possibility of cuts and lacerations. Unroll and place (weigh it down) on lawn so that it “cooperates” with you prior to slit cutting placement.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Upsell her on some brick edging. It will be there forever and won't bend and crack when the mower hits it. We install it for $4.50 a linear foot(including brick).

We get ours from UNILOCK, it's called Perfect Edge. It's all we use up here. When she gawks at the price just explain the pros of the brick and the cons of the plastic, she should go for it if she cares about her landscaping. Plus you might be able to install it cheaper, I don't know. Either way I would def. recommend using an edger, it will cut down on your time ALOT. If you don't have one, rent one.
Attached Images

"We Want to Make You Look Good"

Kyle Sanborn
Director of Operations

Office:989.652.6052
Mobile:989.751.3399
ProScapePLC@Yahoo.com

http://www.ProScapePLC.com
http://www.Facebook.com/ProScapePLC

Fully Insured
Free Estimates
Residential & Commercial
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the customer wants this lowe's or wal-mart brand edging, then so be it........just let them know it will not lay straight and will have unsightly bends. Tell them that this is in no way reflective of your abilities in installation.
I have used and still purchase the Ace of Diamonds commercial black edging.........the stuff that this cheap imitation junk was designed after. This material lasts 10 years or more because some of our accounts still have it after 10 years. We always lay this edging behind the stone or paverstone blocks as an added support for sediment.

Crash,
Nice bed, yet I don't upsell stone or aggregate either..........too heavy and compresses the soil for root penetration and pain in the grass when planting other things in the bed. Heats up too much! That is just our dislikes, other than that good job!!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the responses guys...

For the job:

I'm planning on renting a "bedshaper" before I lay the edging. I agree and believe that the edging is going to be a bi#ch to install. Aside from stone/brick (which would look great) what are some other options to edging beds with crushed stone. (grass // edging // crushed stone)

I understand a bed with stone needs some type of edging barrier, but what looks the best and can be installed most professionally? I stand behind my work and want the job to look great.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
If the customer wants this lowe's or wal-mart brand edging, then so be it........just let them know it will not lay straight and will have unsightly bends. Tell them that this is in no way reflective of your abilities in installation.
I have used and still purchase the Ace of Diamonds commercial black edging.........the stuff that this cheap imitation junk was designed after. This material lasts 10 years or more because some of our accounts still have it after 10 years. We always lay this edging behind the stone or paverstone blocks as an added support for sediment.

Crash,
Nice bed, yet I don't upsell stone or aggregate either..........too heavy and compresses the soil for root penetration and pain in the grass when planting other things in the bed. Heats up too much! That is just our dislikes, other than that good job!!
Sooo...you just use mulch all the time? Your customers never want stone? I agree it's a pain when you have to rake away the stone for a new planting or replacement, but it's not that bad, and you're getting paid. And as far as compressing the soil, bad root penetration...c'mon, seriously?

"We Want to Make You Look Good"

Kyle Sanborn
Director of Operations

Office:989.652.6052
Mobile:989.751.3399
ProScapePLC@Yahoo.com

http://www.ProScapePLC.com
http://www.Facebook.com/ProScapePLC

Fully Insured
Free Estimates
Residential & Commercial