Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Mack77 Mack77 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 208
Black Plastic Edging - How to Install?

Regarding this product:

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID...paign=DATAFEED

I have no experience with plastic edging, how would you install this? Is it even any good? The customer has a property with stone paver edging in all of her beds. There is roughly 600' of edging to remove, and replace with correct plastic landscape edging (like the one pictured above). How would you install such a product?

I think we're going to just use a shovel and edge like a regular mulch bed, hammer down this plastic edge with stakes or nails, backfill and drop crushed stone in the beds. Voila.

Is this work going to be as easy as 1-2-3, or am I missing something.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Firefighter337's Avatar
Firefighter337 Firefighter337 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 294
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5839464544536#

Bedscaper, then back fill with rake.
__________________
I am a crastinator that has not gone pro yet.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM
MarcSmith MarcSmith is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 7,242
plastic edging that will be junk in 5 years YUUK. up sell on the steel or aluminum.

but basically the way you said it is how you do it... make sure you take it out of the package a day or two before so it has a chance to uncurl. makes it easier to work with when its not trying to coil it self around your arms and legs...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
STIHL GUY's Avatar
STIHL GUY STIHL GUY is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 5,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSmith View Post
plastic edging that will be junk in 5 years YUUK. up sell on the steel or aluminum.

but basically the way you said it is how you do it... make sure you take it out of the package a day or two before so it has a chance to uncurl. makes it easier to work with when its not trying to coil it self around your arms and legs...
yeah that stuff pisses me off. its so hard to get it to lay strait without curling up
__________________
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD LS 4x4 6.0L
8' Fisher MM Snowplow
6.5' x 14' Big Tex Open Trailer
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 PM
MarcSmith MarcSmith is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 7,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHL GUY View Post
yeah that stuff pisses me off. its so hard to get it to lay strait without curling up
in florida 15 years ago it was the rage and everyone wanted it...huge PITA....I did it. I hated doing it. but money talks...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
cudaclan cudaclan is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zone 5
Posts: 152
I agree that plastic edging has less eye appeal and tends to shift in colder climates. I do not recommend it as a restraint for a gravel path. The backlash of steel edging is liability. In locations with pedestrians or pets, there is a possibility of cuts and lacerations. Unroll and place (weigh it down) on lawn so that it “cooperates” with you prior to slit cutting placement.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Crash's Avatar
Crash Crash is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 192
Upsell her on some brick edging. It will be there forever and won't bend and crack when the mower hits it. We install it for $4.50 a linear foot(including brick).

We get ours from UNILOCK, it's called Perfect Edge. It's all we use up here. When she gawks at the price just explain the pros of the brick and the cons of the plastic, she should go for it if she cares about her landscaping. Plus you might be able to install it cheaper, I don't know. Either way I would def. recommend using an edger, it will cut down on your time ALOT. If you don't have one, rent one.
Attached Images
   
__________________



"We Want to Make You Look Good"




Kyle Sanborn
Director of Operations

Office:989.652.6052
Mobile:989.751.3399
ProScapePLC@Yahoo.com

http://www.ProScapePLC.com
http://www.Facebook.com/ProScapePLC


Fully Insured
Free Estimates
Residential & Commercial
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Think Green's Avatar
Think Green Think Green is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arkansas--Mississippi flood plains
Posts: 2,670
If the customer wants this lowe's or wal-mart brand edging, then so be it........just let them know it will not lay straight and will have unsightly bends. Tell them that this is in no way reflective of your abilities in installation.
I have used and still purchase the Ace of Diamonds commercial black edging.........the stuff that this cheap imitation junk was designed after. This material lasts 10 years or more because some of our accounts still have it after 10 years. We always lay this edging behind the stone or paverstone blocks as an added support for sediment.

Crash,
Nice bed, yet I don't upsell stone or aggregate either..........too heavy and compresses the soil for root penetration and pain in the grass when planting other things in the bed. Heats up too much! That is just our dislikes, other than that good job!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Mack77 Mack77 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 208
Thanks for all the responses guys...

For the job:

I'm planning on renting a "bedshaper" before I lay the edging. I agree and believe that the edging is going to be a bi#ch to install. Aside from stone/brick (which would look great) what are some other options to edging beds with crushed stone. (grass // edging // crushed stone)

I understand a bed with stone needs some type of edging barrier, but what looks the best and can be installed most professionally? I stand behind my work and want the job to look great.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Crash's Avatar
Crash Crash is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
If the customer wants this lowe's or wal-mart brand edging, then so be it........just let them know it will not lay straight and will have unsightly bends. Tell them that this is in no way reflective of your abilities in installation.
I have used and still purchase the Ace of Diamonds commercial black edging.........the stuff that this cheap imitation junk was designed after. This material lasts 10 years or more because some of our accounts still have it after 10 years. We always lay this edging behind the stone or paverstone blocks as an added support for sediment.

Crash,
Nice bed, yet I don't upsell stone or aggregate either..........too heavy and compresses the soil for root penetration and pain in the grass when planting other things in the bed. Heats up too much! That is just our dislikes, other than that good job!!
Sooo...you just use mulch all the time? Your customers never want stone? I agree it's a pain when you have to rake away the stone for a new planting or replacement, but it's not that bad, and you're getting paid. And as far as compressing the soil, bad root penetration...c'mon, seriously?
__________________



"We Want to Make You Look Good"




Kyle Sanborn
Director of Operations

Office:989.652.6052
Mobile:989.751.3399
ProScapePLC@Yahoo.com

http://www.ProScapePLC.com
http://www.Facebook.com/ProScapePLC


Fully Insured
Free Estimates
Residential & Commercial
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 PM.

Page generated in 0.11035 seconds with 8 queries