Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2010, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Cheap skates!!!

Well got my first cheap skate of the year trying to take me for a fool.

Little history:
New customer I picked up at the start of the month . I quoted $30 for a weekly cut she had wanted me to do it bi-weekly after I quoted her the price. I explained that if I were to do it bi-weekly it would be $45 due to extra time and wear and tear of equipment. She agreed that weekly would be fine. This is fairly easy yard few obstacles and little trimming, 25-30 minute job if maintained.

Well today I gave her first invoice and she meets me after mowing to give me the check and tells me she wants me to come every other week that she has someone that is gonna mow it every other week for nothing and I will just mow the weeks they are not. Well I am damn sure no one else is going to be mowing it on the off weeks for free. I drive past this place often so I will see if it is mowed or not.

I think I will go back in 2 weeks and if it had not been mowed then I will ask her if she wants me to mow it for $45 if not she can find some else. I may just tell her to find someone else anyway it is just the idea that she is trying to pull this on me.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2010, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tell her to just go ahead have them mow it the other 2 weeks at double their price!

Don't bother with this type of loser. They never last long anyway. Is she crippled or blind? Then why isn't she doing it if she's so broke?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh4758 View Post

I think I will go back in 2 weeks and if it had not been mowed then I will ask her if she wants me to mow it for $45 if not she can find some else. I may just tell her to find someone else anyway it is just the idea that she is trying to pull this on me.

Posted via Mobile Device
As long as it's mowed/trimmed, I'd keep her. Some folks around here have the church mow their lawns, free of charge. If it's not mowed, and she won't pay your price for bi-weekly, dump her.

edit: 666....don't listen to me
Old 04-29-2010, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yater View Post
As long as it's mowed/trimmed, I'd keep her. Some folks around here have the church mow their lawns, free of charge. If it's not mowed, and she won't pay your price for bi-weekly, dump her.

edit: 666....don't listen to me
Thats kind of what I'm thinking at this point but I have a feeling there is no one else. She wanted it bi-weekly for the weekly price from the start, so why keep me at all if someone is going to do it free bi-weekly?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh4758 View Post
Thats kind of what I'm thinking at this point but I have a feeling there is no one else. She wanted it bi-weekly for the weekly price from the start, so why keep me at all if someone is going to do it free bi-weekly?
You're lucky! I have a customer who wants her lawn mowed weekly, but only wants me to mow it ONCE a month. She's around 60 and said she likes to get out and mow for the exercise 1-2 times a month (which I understand and respect) and that her nephew comes into town once a month and covers that week's mow.

I had a feeling it wouldn't get mowed that often like she said, so I went ahead and bid $45 per mow. It's only 6,000 square feet. Sure enough, this week I showed up and it hadn't been mowed in at least 2 weeks. Glad I went a little higher.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would drop her! too much of a headache

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 04-29-2010, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know why you guys get all up tight about bi-weekly we make very good money on those just like the weekly. With all the big equipment most people have you can knock down a yard in little extra time, Nobody in our area is going to pay more for bi-weekly.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I don't know why you guys get all up tight about bi-weekly we make very good money on those just like the weekly. With all the big equipment most people have you can knock down a yard in little extra time, Nobody in our area is going to pay more for bi-weekly.
True but if it takes more than a few minutes longer to make it look really good, then I need to be compensated for it . I won't leave a lawn till it looks the best it can. So if that requires double cut or raking up clippings from trimming because the grass is 6" higher than what it should be, it gets done, but not for free. That's why bi-weekly is higher
Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
We want lawns that look good. It is about image and scheduling. Bi weekly lawns do not look good. They never do. Either they are a terrible looking lawn and we don't want them or it is a lawn that needs to be cut weekly and they are too cheap to pay and we dont want them either. If the lawn looks terrible we want to bring it up to snuff and mow it weekly or we don't want the lawn. I dont have the patience for cheap people. 99 out of 100 biweekly mows never have you do anything else either. We stopped accepting biweekly cuts 7 years ago and I am so glad we did. We sell the entire package. Mulch, dethatch, weekly mow, seasonal color(annuals), spring/fall cleanups, trimming and pruning, aerate and overseed in the fall. Most of our customers use all of these services. I wont even do an estimate on a biweekly. They are also the worst payers. I have no use for biweekly mowing.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
We want lawns that look good. It is about image and scheduling. Bi weekly lawns do not look good. They never do. Either they are a terrible looking lawn and we don't want them or it is a lawn that needs to be cut weekly and they are too cheap to pay and we dont want them either. If the lawn looks terrible we want to bring it up to snuff and mow it weekly or we don't want the lawn. I dont have the patience for cheap people. 99 out of 100 biweekly mows never have you do anything else either. We stopped accepting biweekly cuts 7 years ago and I am so glad we did. We sell the entire package. Mulch, dethatch, weekly mow, seasonal color(annuals), spring/fall cleanups, trimming and pruning, aerate and overseed in the fall. Most of our customers use all of these services. I wont even do an estimate on a biweekly. They are also the worst payers. I have no use for biweekly mowing.
Things aren't that easy down south some people don't care much about the lawns so you aren't going to get much follow on anyway. And actually the lawns that are bi-weekly look exactly the same as the weekly. Our mulching movers will cut them down and chop the stuff up to the extent it looks like it has been bagged. On small yards with crews it actually doesn't take any more time. The mow guy is usually done before the trimmers and blowing is done. Residential is a painful business to grow very large because of the numbers of customers.. To grow a company in our area you got to get into commericial that do support the extra stuff.

But today we hit over 20 bi-weekly lawns and about 15 weekly in one area. If we didn't have those bi-weekly that would have meant moving to another area and probably lost revenue. And the good news solo guys don't do bi-weekly here either. And due to the fact we are in a neighborhood so long people starting asking us for bids and a lot of times the solo guy loses his job because we beat him on price.