Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 07-03-2002, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Z problem - any ideas?

I have a Hustler Z I bought new a couple of months ago. The other day I was mowing on a slight slope in my yard and the right steering went out momentarily. I paniced and shut it off. Looked it over for broken hoses/etc. and finding nothing started it back up and it seemed to work ok again. Today I was mowing on a very level part of my lawn and the mower started making what sounded like a rattling noise and the left steering wasn't responding as quickly as normal. I shut it off, looked it over and restarted and the left steering was getting worse and the rattle noise was getting louder. Shut it off and called the dealer to ask the service folks what might be wrong and they suggested turning the bypass valve that is screwed into the left pump. They said this should disconnect the left hydraulics and I could try and move it around with the right. Tried that, but the steering was getting really bad now. I screwed the bypass back to where it originally was and when I started the mower again it lost all mobility. Wouldn't go forward or backward, it was like the steering levers had lost all control. At this point I realized I'd probably have to take it to the shop, so I called a tow truck to winch it into my horse trailer (it's the only trailer I have).
Any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks...rich
Old 07-05-2002, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: Hustler Z problem - any ideas?

Quote:
Originally posted by rick_reno

they suggested turning the bypass valve that is screwed into the left pump. They said this should disconnect the left hydraulics and I could try and move it around with the right. Tried that, but the steering was getting really bad now. I screwed the bypass back to where it originally was and when I started the mower again it lost all mobility. Wouldn't go forward or backward, it was like the steering levers had lost all control. At this point I realized I'd probably have to take it to the shop, so I called a tow truck to winch it into my horse trailer (it's the only trailer I have).
Any ideas what could be wrong?

thanks...rich
I'd look for another dealer. The bypass valve, when opened does "as it name states" and bypasses the fluid past the pump and the machine should not move at all (by itself. The bypass valve is for removing air that can be trapped in the system, or moving the machine (by pushing it) if it can't be started. It sounds like you need qualified dealer to test the pump flow for each pump, and then check each wheel motor.
Pete
Old 07-05-2002, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Z problem

That's not good news. They're the only dealer within many miles; I'm in N. Idaho and have limited access to dealers. I started it yesterday in the trailer and it still won't move (unless I push it). The engine runs fine. Is there a central pump/gear thing that provides fluid to the two pumps (?) that are just inside each wheel? or are those two pumps just inside the wheel the only things that provide propulsion. It's only got 47 hours on it, I'm hoping problems like this aren't the norm.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I would suggest that the servicing dealer check the pump drive belt and pulleys. There are two set screws that hold each pulley to the pump shafts. If one of the pulleys has worked loose, then you will get sluggish performance and noise. Have the servicing dealer call me if that does not solve the problem and we will do what we can to get it going!

Thanks

Randy Jantz
Product Service Manager
Hustler Turf Equipment
Old 07-05-2002, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

This machine has two HydroGear pumps that are driven by a belt from the engine. These pumps drive two Parker wheel motors that are directly driving the wheels. The pumps share a common filter and reservoir. You could try to tighten the filter (it is located next to the battery). If the filter is a little loose the pumps could suck air instead of oil and that also will lead to sluggish performance. I would still suggest having your local servicing dealer repair the mower.

No, this is not the norm. Hustlers are very reliable and there are thousands of them running out there. But thats why there is warranty, it's there if you need it.

Regards;

Randy Jantz
Old 07-05-2002, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Randy - I'll take a look at this weekend. If I can get it working again it'd be great - I'm looking at a 200 mile round trip drive to the dealers, and I expect I'll have to leave it so it'll end up at 400 miles.

thanks again...rich
Old 07-05-2002, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks Randy - I'll take a look at this weekend. If I can get it working again it'd be great - I'm looking at a 200 mile round trip drive to the dealers, and I expect I'll have to leave it so it'll end up at 400 miles.

thanks again...rich
This is something you can do. First your machine will not move or work correct unless both bypass valves are closed tight (hand tight is OK, you should have the large bolt through the valves to handtighten.
OK, loosen both valves, then open the top of the oil resivoir. Start your machine, and move the control levers front and back, you machine will not move with the valves open. While moving the levers, have someone watch in the top of the resivior for foaming of the oil. If this happens, it shows you are getting air in the system. I really don't think this is the problem, but it's worth checking. Of course, make sure you have the correct amount of oil in the system.
I'd also make sure the belt is tight for the pumps.
Pete
Old 07-06-2002, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Hustler Z problem - an update

Randy and Pete,

I was looking the mower over again this morning and looked underneath it and found this (I've tried to attach a picture - I don't know if it will work). This pulley was sitting on the frame,
some of the fins got banged up when it came off. It's got two set screws - Randy, are these the ones you were describing in your note?

thanks again for all your help and suggestions. ...rich
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2002, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Re: Hustler Z problem - an update

Quote:
Randy and Pete,

I was looking the mower over again this morning and looked underneath it and found this (I've tried to attach a picture - I don't know if it will work). This pulley was sitting on the frame,
some of the fins got banged up when it came off. It's got two set screws - Randy, are these the ones you were describing in your note?

thanks again for all your help and suggestions. ...rich
Well, everyone now knows you found it.........

I guess it doesn't matter if you can't find the belt, cause you'll need to order the fan/pulley anyway.......Glad you found the problem.
Pete
Old 07-07-2002, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same thing happen to me and it isn't the easiest thing to get to when you fix it. Don't forget to order the key also, it goes in the pulley and the shaft.