Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: How to you feel about overgrown and tall grass?
Love them and do them with glee 11 18.33%
Hate them but still do them 35 58.33%
I do not cut overgrown grass 14 23.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2015, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Overgrown/Tall Grass Jobs -Love, Hate, or Just Don't Do 'Em?

I'd rather do overgrown grass cuts than boring week to week service jobs.

I'm wondering what is the general consensus about overgrown and tall grass cuts. Do you love, hate, or just don't take them on?

Another thing, many customers think that just because grass is tall it is too difficult to cut. Tall grass may be slightly more difficult to cut but the real pain in the ass is thick grass. I have some yards that are more difficult to cut than a lot of the overgrown yards I cut just because they are so thick.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I only run Exmark 30's so if it's super overgrown it takes forever. I spent 4 hours 6 minutes mowing a 20k square feet thick, wet, 2 months of growth lawn. Who wants to pay their lawn guy $200-$250 to mow their lawn once? It kind of leaves a bad taste in the mouths of clients, it often looks bad, and it's hard on the equipment. I would rather do normal weekly lawns all day.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
I only run Exmark 30's so if it's super overgrown it takes forever. I spent 4 hours 6 minutes mowing a 20k square feet thick, wet, 2 months of growth lawn. Who wants to pay their lawn guy $200-$250 to mow their lawn once? It kind of leaves a bad taste in the mouths of clients, it often looks bad, and it's hard on the equipment. I would rather do normal weekly lawns all day.
Agree with this, if I cant get what its worth than why do unless it leads to a steady customer. One time shot, no.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Love them , fire up the tractor with the bush hog and mow it down , great money .
Old 03-10-2015, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

While i don't enjoy doing over grown yards i will do them but only if they are willing to pay my price and i always price for it to take longer than i think it will to make sure if i get the work it's well paid
I do like the thin sparse long grass which look like hard work to the client but i know aren't so much better than some of the shorter thick matted ones that don't look that hard to the clients eyes but are a real pain to mow
Old 03-10-2015, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Unless they just moved in to the house then I wouldn't do it. They are the customer that wants the lawn mowed five or six times during the season. If you have to talk them into an every other week mow than it's not worth it. Very rarely do them become an ideal client.

Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60" 3 bin bagger
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 03-11-2015, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
Unless they just moved in to the house then I wouldn't do it. They are the customer that wants the lawn mowed five or six times during the season. If you have to talk them into an every other week mow than it's not worth it. Very rarely do them become an ideal client.

Michael
I agree. I used to do them on a regular basis when I first started. I've never had one that ended up staying with me for the long haul. Most of them said they wanted regular service, until it was time to come back. "My son will get it this week, come back next week" Son didn't weed wack now next mow takes 1.5 times as long. When I did it part time I really didn't mind. But now that this is my livelihood it just isn't worth the hassle.

6x12 Enclosed trailer
1996 Woodchuck 12inch self feeding drum chipper

Echo CS520 Chainsaw
Echo 600P Chainsaw
Log Rite log roller
Echo PAS 266 with hedge trimmer/pole saw/string trimmer attachment
Stihl string trimmers
33 inch walk behind mower
Husqvarna backpack blowers

20ton tow behind log splitter
Old 03-11-2015, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One thing to keep in mind on these jobs is potential damage to mower due to hitting objects. If you ask the customer if there's anything you might hit they'll probably say nothing but they really don't know, stumps metal objects & etc. Keep in mind you are putting extra stress & wear on belts and pulleys too. The job could end up costing you instead of earning money.
Old 03-11-2015, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems most dont want to do this work. Thats where you are missing the boat . Somebody has to do it . Its all about the money , charge a high price than add a bit more . They will take it or leave it . You will probably be the only one who gives them a price . I did a few last year 4 or 5 , I was the only bidder , on each job everyone else didnt want to do the work . Now I wasnt using a walk behind or a ztr , I used a kubota bx with a 4 ft bush hog , average job was an hour and a half running over it twice , price was 6 to 8 hundred . No hauling , no raking , just cut down and trim . I dont want these properties for regular mowing , since I dont do mowing ( over saturated market ). I am now on the county contractor list to mow unkept properties and for 3 banks for foreclosures .

The lawns are cut when I leave , do they look good? Not really, they look better than they did , but now they can be cut with a mower .
Old 03-11-2015, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

brush cutting and land clearing is a different service than lawn care , if you have the equipment and the time then yes the brush cutting and foreclosure stuff you can make money , I use to do this stuff and I prefer regular lawn care over this mainly because of reputation and a client base , when you cut high grass for someone thats usually it. Add the bees , snakes , hiden gas caps , debree , wasps , rats , etc. I provide lawn care service so if you hack a lawn down and it looks like crap you just ruined your chances of getting business from any of those neighbors for regular lawn care , so I say pick what you want to do but I would not do both I would eather do lawn care and cut weekly or advertise for brush clearing etc and do that , the one time cuts interfear with getting my weekly customers done as well. Of course this a solo operation view point if you have employees and have a seperate crew for land clearing and brush and put that on your advertisement then I would say thats fine I just think if you pull in the driveway with a truck that says professional lawn care and get out and hack down a lawn and leave it looking awful people talk and may not say good things about you. Just my opinion though.

Tags
overgrown grass , tall grass