Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve m View Post
this lady drop me because i made her lawn look like she was rich and she did not want to get robbed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
1) Pulled up to a customer's house, got out of the truck and heard what sounded like a tornado alarm or something just blaring, mind you I'm about 50' from the house. I knock, ring the doorbell, beat on the door, about to break in thinking she's dead (old lady) she swings the door open and starts yelling at me. she says "what's that noise?!!!! I don't know where it's coming from. etc. etc.. I start going around the house, upstairs, downstairs, it's echoing around sounds like it's coming from everywhere. Neighbors are coming over, she says she's going to call 911. I'm telling you this is the loudest noise you have heard. I go up to her husbands bedroom who just got put in a home and his damn alarm was going off, at 4:00 in the afternoon. She had JUST put him in a home and apparently he set his alarm. The volume was up all the way and it was some sort of high dollar Bose or something like that. I'm telling you with the front door open you could hear it a block down the street.

2.) Told a lady the other day she had to have the kids go inside when I was mowing for safety reasons. She said she liked to have them watch me work so they could see why they needed to work hard at school and have goals when they got older so they wouldn't have to do this type of stuff........Part of me couldn't believe she said it, and the other part of me couldn't wait to tell somebody about it.
Thats messed up, can't believe someone would actually say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveOJoe View Post
"If you would aim the mower the other way you wouldn't have to charge me for blowing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJS View Post
I've had some pretty good ones my favorite has to be the guy who explained to me last year that we had to stop aerating because his kid thought the aerator was one of the monsters from transformers and was going to change into a robot and kill us all not as much a complaint as it is hilarious

lmao these are great.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I actually got fired from a job from making a property look too good. The lady was afraid her taxes were going to go up, lol.

Another lady complained I wasn't mowing part of her front yard. I had her show me. It was the flower bed!

I had one older couple complain that I mowed all the lawn areas on the same day. They said they'd lived there for over 40 years and had never mowed the whole lawn in one day.

Oh, and the people that complain that you didn't mow the weeds in the gravel driveway. Yah, I'm gonna turn my blades on in a pile of pea gravel!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Had 2 odd ones in the past 2 weeks. First guy likes his lawn scalped and I mean scalped and in some spots down to the dirt. I only found this out after he told me I was leaving it to long (2") so I could come every week and charge him. He said it looked like crap at 2" and to take it down to 1/2"! I gladly did it and had scalp marks everywhere! Then he said "looks good" I was like what??????? I tried to explain that no matter how short I cut it it is still going to grow out of his 1/2'' preference and he didn't understand and said it grows slower when its scalped. I said yeh when its scalped and no grass in there after!!!!!

Second one, the lady calls me and says there are clipping left on her when she comes back from the community pool and her feet are wet. I told her the pool ain't even open yet and she says well when its wet out. Then I told her to dry her feet and take off her shoes before she goes in her house. Then I explained I don't bag the 11 acre complex unless it goes way over a week without cutting and she said can you just bag my area!!
Old 06-05-2010, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Had a customer ask if I could turn a 15' spruce tree around because it looked better on the other side. I told her it may be easier to leave the tree where it is and turn the yard around. She said OK whatever you think is best.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i had a customer this year call me and complain that i was taking too long to mow his lawn,he said the last company came with 3 guys and it took them 15 minutes while it takes me 45 mins by myself lol.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHR101 View Post
Had a customer ask if I could turn a 15' spruce tree around because it looked better on the other side. I told her it may be easier to leave the tree where it is and turn the yard around. She said OK whatever you think is best.
thats great!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmorgan89 View Post
Anyone else been accused of planting weeds?
I did a mulch job the first of March foran older lady and she called me a few days ago and blamed me for planting weeds. I dont even mow or maintain her property, I just did the mulch.

She said that she had talked to her lawyer and was going to sue me, so I told her to go for it !!!
(completely redone and looks and runs perfect)
2008 7x14 Haulmark enclosed trailer
2008 7x16 Haulmark open trailer with 4 ft mesh sides
2007 Exmark 60" cut 25 hp Kohler
Great Dane Super Surfer 48"
Great Dane Super Surfer 52''
Snapper 48'' walk behind
Exmark 21" push
2 - Stihl FS 90 R
2 - Stihl BR600 Magnum
Stihl HS Kombi with ALL extras
Stihl fs85
Stihl BR 550
Toro Dingo with accessories
various other tools
Old 06-25-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmorgan89 View Post
Anyone else been accused of planting weeds?
I've been accused of passing weeds due to mowing with the same mower on other yards, and had a guy a few years ago insist on using his equipment because of this. Charged him the same amout, it was great!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Another lady complained I wasn't mowing part of her front yard. I had her show me. It was the flower bed!

l![/QUOTE]

This is funny I don't care who you are!. I did LOL on this one!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Do you guys ever have a customer try to dictate when you mow? I understand it's their yard and I dont mean I should be able to show up when I want to and cut as much as I want to. I cut for a guy who told me in April that he wanted his yard cut every 10 days. Now all of a sudden it's hot out and now he wants it cut every 2 weeks. Now, I do not care a bit how often he wants his grass cut, that's up to him. But PLEASE. Pick one and stick with it!! Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do about it?

One more thing - what do you guys do about customers that don't pay? I don't use contracts so I cant go through court and the lady will not talk to me at all. I am out a total of about $325. Is there anything I can do about it?