Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2010, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

New homeowner question

So, just bought a piece of property last month with about little less than a half acre of lawn.

The seller through in a 1999 White Outdoor mower. It runs, but in 3 weeks, I already had to replace a starter and a belt.

So, Im in the market for a new mower. The land is flat with few obstacles.

42" deck if a perfect size for the lawn.

Ive been looking at a Cub, JK, and a Husqvarna. All can be purchased at the big box stores, as well as the dealerships.

I know you guys probably will tell me to steer clear of all 3, but for the size of my properly with very little change in terrain, i dont feel i need go overboard with a mower.

I always maintained my own mowers (changing oil, filters, sharpening blades, etc).

Ive been leaning towards the 1000 series cubs cause they have a 12in turning radius that Id probably benefit from, but, never buying a new riding mower before, I am not sure.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and i do have a lawn roller, poly cart, and a broadcast spreader that i will be towing with the tractor.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

And I thought I was being lazy getting a rider for .75 acres....
Old 04-30-2010, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujeeperman02 View Post
So, just bought a piece of property last month with about little less than a half acre of lawn.

The seller through in a 1999 White Outdoor mower. It runs, but in 3 weeks, I already had to replace a starter and a belt.

So, Im in the market for a new mower. The land is flat with few obstacles.

42" deck if a perfect size for the lawn.

Ive been looking at a Cub, JK, and a Husqvarna. All can be purchased at the big box stores, as well as the dealerships.

I know you guys probably will tell me to steer clear of all 3, but for the size of my properly with very little change in terrain, i dont feel i need go overboard with a mower.

I always maintained my own mowers (changing oil, filters, sharpening blades, etc).

Ive been leaning towards the 1000 series cubs cause they have a 12in turning radius that Id probably benefit from, but, never buying a new riding mower before, I am not sure.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and i do have a lawn roller, poly cart, and a broadcast spreader that i will be towing with the tractor.

Thanks guys.
Sounds like you already know what you want...Go buy it!!! I had a 1994 White riding mower and it was also a piece of junk. Good luck and enjoy your new place.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I work on all my own stuff too, but let me tell you...
When it's under warranty I don't touch it, back to the store it goes!

There is, however, something to be learned...
Get it from the dealer, if something goes out under warranty in the first year it might take them a bit but they'll fix it ...
At a box store if it didn't happen within 30 days you're SOL and I don't care what the warranty says,
bottom line is they don't have anyone that works on them.
Of course you could get the extended warranty, but ...