Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Redmax BCZ2401S Trimmer engine re-assembly

Trimmer was running horrible, killing at full throttle, hard to start, etc. Tried seafoam, seemed like the problem was solved initially, but once the seafoam was burned off, the trimmer ran bad again.

I had to dismantle my redmax trimmer in order to clean the cylinder head, piston and internal engine parts, due to running too rich an oil mixture (40:1 instead of 50:1). These parts were black and had thick carbon buildup. I cleaned them with a dremel tool wire brush and seafoam on a rag. This got everything very clean. Now I can't get the piston back into the cylinder. I'm not a mechanic, but I know that you have to squeeze the rings to get the head back over the piston. Everything seems to fit too tight and I'm afraid to damage something if I keep trying. I can't get the piston past the second ring, is there an easier way to do this?? Any help would be appreciated... thanks!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clif View Post
Trimmer was running horrible, killing at full throttle, hard to start, etc. Tried seafoam, seemed like the problem was solved initially, but once the seafoam was burned off, the trimmer ran bad again.

I had to dismantle my redmax trimmer in order to clean the cylinder head, piston and internal engine parts, due to running too rich an oil mixture (40:1 instead of 50:1). These parts were black and had thick carbon buildup. I cleaned them with a dremel tool wire brush and seafoam on a rag. This got everything very clean. Now I can't get the piston back into the cylinder. I'm not a mechanic, but I know that you have to squeeze the rings to get the head back over the piston. Everything seems to fit too tight and I'm afraid to damage something if I keep trying. I can't get the piston past the second ring, is there an easier way to do this?? Any help would be appreciated... thanks!
By the way, I don't own a ring compressor tool.... but will purchase if necessary...
Old 04-30-2010, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

In follow up, I WAS able to reassemble the engine. I used a hammer and flat head screw driver to lightly tap the rings one at a time, until the piston slipped into the cylinder wall. One note also, I had the orientation of the two rings incorrect. On the redmax trimmer, there's a little notch in the ring's cutout slot on the piston for each ring's open end position, which is likely why I was unable to insert the piston. The trimmer seems to be running better, although I have not tested it under a load yet. But certainly it will, now that it's minus the carbon buildup.