Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2000, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IS THERE A WAY TO DISCONNECT OR BY-PASS THIS SO THE LIGHTS DON'T BURN ALL OF THE TIME?IT IS A REAL PAIN TRYING TO SNEAK UP ON HOGS ETC.. ETC..WITH THESE ON.I HAVE A 99'1500 AND A 2000'1500,IT IS DRIVING ME NUTS.CAN'T SNEAK IN AND OUT OF THE PASTURE AT NIGHT.THANKS FOR THE HELP!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING
Old 04-27-2000, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

If you put the E/brake on do they go out? Most have this option. You may be able to just apply it one notch. or add a switch to ground the wire going to the E/brake
Old 04-28-2000, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd opt for some selective wire cutting. Or bulb removal. I don't own ANYTHING that new, so I'm not sure if it will mess up the master computer and forever condem you to hell for trying to mess with the safety features, but I'd deffinetly do something drastic about it. In case GM didn't notice, most of us know when to turn our headlights on, and their daytime running lights are a major pain when trying to hunt at night :-) good luck
Old 04-28-2000, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don,I seen how to do this awhile back,Its on the LS1.com website.If I remember right it is easy on the 99's and hard to do on the 2000's.Go thru there I know its in the LS1 truck part of the site.Good luck<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 04-28-2000, 08:42 PM

I can live with the DRLs, I just wish the anti-stop brakes were adjustable somehow. On slushy surfaces the stopping distances go WAY up with that stupid system. I liked the old style 2 wheel and not in 4wd anti locks on my 89,, hate the system on the 97.
Old 04-29-2000, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Alan, What year of truck do you have, GM has a recall comming out for problems with the ABS system. Also if you have a Four Wheel Drive. you can trick the truck into thinking its in 4wheel. and this will shut the abs off. But I only recommend using it on dry pavement. GM ABS is a little slow. Chryslers work better. (in my Oppinion)
Old 04-30-2000, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

There was a little sheet a paper stuck in my owners manual of my chevy 2000 blazer, that said how to turn them off permanetly.
Old 04-30-2000, 09:32 PM

Yortengel, this one is a '97. And the anti-stops work in four wheel drive anyhow. While I really feel they are dangerous, I'm afraid of deactivating them and getting in an accident of some sort and having some investigator discover they have been shut down. Just imagine the fun the legal community would have with that one, and maybe insurance would not pay up because of the tampering. I'm all in favor of technology that helps, but in this case it is a curse. We do a lot of driving on slushy conditions and the only way to stop is to get the wheels to cut through the slush. Anti-stops keep the tires rolling, on top of the stuff and there is no way you can stop as well with them as without them. I have driven in Vermont winters for 34 years, and I have slid through more stop signs in the two years we have had this truck than in all the rest combined.
Old 05-01-2000, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll check with My dad. He works at GM. He spent a lot of time with there ABS systems. I know that all the systems that I have worked with always shut the ABS off when In Four wheel drive. because of the Mechanical link. I do know what you mean about the liability issue. These big companys will do anything to get out of there obligations. Its all about profit. I guess thats the american way. Any way. I will get back to you.<br>Yort.
Old 05-04-2000, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, I have a 98 and someone told me to pull the fuse. Apparently there isn't anything else on there. Anyway trying to find a wiring problem on a trailer I ended up pulling the fuse to trouble shoot with. It seemed to only interupt the DRL's. Maybe it works, I put the fuse back in when done so don't really know for sure if it effects anything else.<p>Adam