Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2010, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

KAWI 37hp Knock

I have a 37 KAWI FX1000v motor. 300 hours on it. I was mowing today for about an hour and all of a sudden it started to knock heavily. I stopped and looked to see if maybe the oil plug came loose and it was dry, but nothing. Plenty of oil. I started it again and it knocked so bad it sounded like it wanted to bust through the side of the block. Almost sounds like something come apart and is in the cylinder hitting the piston. It runs fine and has power, just a BAD knock.

Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say don't get too far from your truck and bring a chain. I would take it to the dealer if it is still under warranty- before the engine blows.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

It's going tomorrow morning, but its Saturday so they wont get it tore apart till Monday. Just wondered if anyone had something similar to this and knew what is going on...

Mario
Old 04-30-2010, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Do a search. I don't remember the details but a couple members had issues with the 37 or 34 Kawi's when they first came out. Believe they were on Bobcat mowers.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUTS LAWNCARE View Post
I have a 37 KAWI FX1000v motor. 300 hours on it. I was mowing today for about an hour and all of a sudden it started to knock heavily. I stopped and looked to see if maybe the oil plug came loose and it was dry, but nothing. Plenty of oil. I started it again and it knocked so bad it sounded like it wanted to bust through the side of the block. Almost sounds like something come apart and is in the cylinder hitting the piston. It runs fine and has power, just a BAD knock.

Any ideas?
Same thing happened to both of my 37 Kawy's w/ under 400 hrs. Hard to believe but they are garbage. Have a different engine installed. Any other Kawy or a Vanguard.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine has a country clipper with over 800hrs on the 37kaw. I have a bobcat with a few hundred no troubles. Just bought another bobcat with the 37hp DFI kawasaki.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Just brought the mower to the dealer today and it blew all the way driving it to the back of the shop. Had to push it the rest of the way. The head Mec. said its the cam. He had another one in the shop with the exact same problem only this one had 70 hrs on it. So hopefully Monday Kaw will send a new motor and I will be on my way... Sure hope they fixed the problem in the newer motors!

Mario
Old 05-01-2010, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There was a cam issue a few years back on JD garden tractors with a plastic gear I think driving the cam.Problem was corrected but looks like they are having a similar problem again.