Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2010, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo 265 pro attachment

I just bought the echo 265 motor head along with the articulating hedge trimmers and heavy duty line trimmer attachment. Anyone have any comments about this item. I dont consider price when purchasing and just want the best equipment for my dollar. I was originally going to buy a shindy but went to the power equip store and was sold on the echo. The manager stated that I could take the echo home and if I wasnt happy with it he would put me in a shindy instead. He sells both but was adamant that the echo is a better machine to add the hedge attachment. What do you guys think?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have the Shindaiwa M242 with the short articulate hedge attachment and the string trimmer attachment. I choose this because Echo do not have the short reach. I can use it to replace the regular hedge trimmer all together. This is about the only thing Shindy is better.

Echo and Stihl do have the most complete attachment option but be careful it can get really really expensive if you get more attachment. And neither have the short reach articulate hedge trimmer attachment. I only got mine because it had a promotion of getting a free string trimmer attachment free at the time and my Honda trimmer was acting up at the time. I usually don't think it's worth getting the attachment series because of the cost. If you get more attachments, you are going to have to get the second power head in case of any break down. That add to the cost again.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have several of the model 260 and 261 and those did just fine. The 265 will be more powerful and we are currently running 6 of those in trimmer configuration only, and we are in the third year.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the PAS265 system, I use the trimmer and edger continually (some of my other accessories are used sparingly). I believe the head unit is very good and the system works well, I am in my third year using it. I would be surprised if you are unhappy with it based on my experience.

I use an HC150 for hedge trimming though so I do not have the hedge trimmer attachments for the PAS.

Regards,

Rich
Old 05-02-2010, 03:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Is it safe to say the new 265 single ring Vortex engine is as durable and last as long as the two rings Tornado engine in 261?
Old 05-02-2010, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Is it safe to say the new 265 single ring Vortex engine is as durable and last as long as the two rings Tornado engine in 261?
I am not sure you can really answer that until the engine has been around longer. I personally didn't hesitate to purchase the Vortex engine.

Regards,

Rich
Old 05-02-2010, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Jury still out but I tore down 4 of our Echo 265 units that have run two years. The output ports were partially closed and the clutches needed to be replaced. Cleaned them up put in new air filter and spark plug and they are good to go. These units all start on just a couple pulls and sometimes on one pull and with that spring relief in the recoil that is really nice. I have had the 260/261 units go over 5 years easy. I tore one down this week end and put in a new needle bearing and pin in the piston end. The out put ports were about 50% closed and the one of the transfer ports was completely closed. Hope to get another couple years out of it.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Jury still out but I tore down 4 of our Echo 265 units that have run two years. The output ports were partially closed and the clutches needed to be replaced. Cleaned them up put in new air filter and spark plug and they are good to go. These units all start on just a couple pulls and sometimes on one pull and with that spring relief in the recoil that is really nice. I have had the 260/261 units go over 5 years easy. I tore one down this week end and put in a new needle bearing and pin in the piston end. The out put ports were about 50% closed and the one of the transfer ports was completely closed. Hope to get another couple years out of it.
Around how many hours you have on them?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Great information, thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Rich