Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2010, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark Lazer Z HP problem

I have a 2003 HP and just made a few repairs to the unit and while I had the unit tore apart, I decided to change both belts, since they needed it anyway. Got everything done and mower cranked just fine. I engaged the blades and the mower cut off. Now it will not crank or even turn over. It almost seems like a safety switch override or something. I checked the connection at the PTO switch and it wasn't loose or anything. Anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be??? This has been a great mower, but I tell ya, it hit 1100 hours and has been nothing but one problem after another. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

If I had to guess I'd say the PTO switch decided to quit about right then. Totally coincidence. I've seen things like that more than once. You make a repair, go to use it & it quits. Logic says it has something to do with what you just did. That can lead you in circles for hours (days?). The switch is cheap. I'd start there. I've had enough dealing with the safety system on exmarks to get the feel for them. Here's another tip. See if you can get your dealer to print you a copy of exmark's COLOR safety system diagram. It has a sequential troubleshooting plan for the entire safety system. As far as I know this diagram is available only on the exmark's dealer web. (I used to work for one)
Old 05-02-2010, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Sharpcuts. It probably is just a coincidence. I am just so irritated with this mower. I would just let it go, but I have put so much time and money into it over the past few months.
Back before Christmas, I took the deck off and had new baffles welded on it, so it is like new. While it was off, I installed one new spindle assembly because the old one had a lot of play in it, so I was on borrowed time. About the same time I had a problem develop in the electrical system. It would run fine for awhile and suddenly just cut off while you were driving it or as soon as you released the parking brake. I replaced safety switches, took out the old mercury tilt switch, and nothing worked. Finally the dealer looked at it and said they got some strange readings on the relay switches??? So, they replaced the switches and it worked fine for a month. Then last week, I was mowing and the mower just stopped moving. Come to find out, the tension spring on the drive belt system wore through the freaking idler arm!!!! How, I have no idea. So, I get a new part and belts and get everything back together, crank it up, and now this....
Needless to say I am pissed. Not to mention my F-250 has blown a fuse every day this week for the AC blower fan motor, and I go crank my old truck up to do some extra work yesterday, and something is wrong with the carb, and it will not run right....
Murphy's law has been on my case this week.
But thanks for that info, I will get a new switch tomorrow and try it.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, I've got the same unit with 1k hours on it and other than the mercury seat switch no probs at all. I did have to replace the PTO switch but that's because another piece of equipment hit it and snapped it off.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's crazy darryl. I have 1192 hours on it, no problems until the last 80-100 hours, other than maybe replacing two pulleys. I mean I try to do as much PM as possible to minimize my down time. Glad you have not had any problems. Hope it stays that way for you.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

check the two fuses under the seat. Sounds like one of them is blown.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well now you have me worried...mine is getting close to those hours. I forgot I did replace the starter too. One of the steering dampeners needs replacement too. I should change the rear whatchamacallits too...the rear deck support thingys but it's still cutting good so it's on the back burner for now. Sorry to hear it's being a pain in the tail for you. Took me a while to diagnose my machine cutting out on me to be the mercury switch. They eliminated them, too much of a shipping/disposal problem.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had probably 15 hp's over the years, you name it I have broke it!! And then diagnosed and fixed it.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that once you get over those problems and 1500 hours.. it usually runs good for another 1500.

when it rains it pours is very true
Old 05-03-2010, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks cutter1. It was a fuse.At least that rules out the switch. But it blows the fuse every time I replace it and turn the blades on. So I am back where I started. I guess I will take it to dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device