Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2010, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Ya I think Im not going to sweat it. Just maybe next time I will offer to mow on the day they request but I will charge double or something crazy. I will just tell them that my quoted price goes by my scheduled day and if they want a different day then I will need to quote them for that day. If they go for it, I win if they dont I still win. It just kinda of sucks because 3 of the six are right in a row all neighbors and I think one of the ladys said something to the others and they all changed their minds. Im pretty sure the other two didnt care on the day but once I dumped the first lady and she found someone else they all switched. Oh well my plate is full enough for me this year.
2007 F-150 Boss's ride

6x12 landscaping trailer with:
2 bluebird aerators
1 bluebird power rake
2 toro 22" walk behinds
1 worldlawn 28" walk behind
1 wright stander 48"
2 stihl trimmers
2 husqvarna backpack blowers

1400 sq ft garage with tons of other misc equipment

Oh and my typing sucks because of that chick in the blue jersey and white shorts whats that ad for?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

On Monday's that is sometimes my free day, unless something comes up. Then Tuesday and Wednesday's its residential, then Apartment Complex I do on Thursdays. Friday back to residential, then on the weekend I try to take off if I can but normally never works out. I do my commercials late week or over the weekend. Plan to do gas stations and some residentials tomorrow, got rained out two days last week and did an install today so I'm behind now. I should be able to get back to normal by Sunday night....I hope.

1994 F-150 XLT 4X4 8' Uni-Mount
1995 7.3L F-250 XLT 4X4 9' Uni-Mount & Pro Flo Spreader
2009 7x14 Trailmaster
2003 7x18 Trailmaster

48" Walker MT GHS
36" Walker MC GHS
48" John Deere Hydro W/B
21" Husqvarna XT7
Stihl KM-90 W/ FS-KM
Stihl FS-85R Trimmer
Stihl FC-95 Stick Edger
Stihl BR-550&600 Backpack Blower
Stihl BG-86 Handheld Blower
Stihl HS-45 Hedge Trimmers
Snapper Commercial Power Rake/Slit Seeder
Ryan Aerator
Husqvarna 235 Chainsaw 16" Bar
Old 05-02-2010, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We run all commercial properties on Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the week we focus on residentials

It is what it is......

Check out some of our manicuring http://sangerlawncareplus.com/Site%202/Photos%202.html
Old 05-02-2010, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a very strict rout. No request if you are on thurs friday list or in that area thats fine if not o well. I have one guy who is off rout but he pays 20 extra for the special day request. No one time cuts, no can you bail me out untill I get my tractor fixed, and no new pick ups unless you are next door. I am in this neighborhood on this day thats it!

Do not run over Gods creation just to drum up work. You will waste gas and will waste valuable time. Trust me stick to your guns work will pile in. There are guys advertising here like its going out of style and receiving very few calls. My phone rings everyday no advertising outside of the uniforms and trucks lettered. the truck can not drive more then 10 mins from the last house if it does I either reroute or drop the customer. It sounds harsh but its about making a profit......... Stick to your guns!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 AM

I schedule yards Monday through Thursday. Big commercial stuff early in the week. Friday is rain make up day. Saturday and Sunday are for whatever I want to do besides mow lawns days. I have to have something to look forward to during the week and that is set in stone. You're not exactly self employed if you let your customers set your schedule. If I am their employee then I want my bennies
Old 05-02-2010, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

anyone who insists on friday mowing is going to become a pita a t some point -get rid of them!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always had a few requests for thurs. fri. mowings. If it fits my schedule fine. If not I let them know the schedule is the boss and in the spring it's anybody's guess what day it will be.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozymonkey View Post
Ya I think Im not going to sweat it. Just maybe next time I will offer to mow on the day they request but I will charge double or something crazy. I will just tell them that my quoted price goes by my scheduled day and if they want a different day then I will need to quote them for that day. If they go for it, I win if they dont I still win.
This is exactly what we started to do. We don't charge double but charge and extra $10 per cut if they want to choose their day. This extra makes up for the extra driving to accommodate them. Here's the kicker. This year about 6 customers sent back their sign up letters with the extra fee option crossed out and the day they wanted it cut written in. When we get a really bossy customer I then tell them that in order to be fair to all my customers, if they insist on being cut on a certain day, we will then start a rotation. Your cut on Monday this year Tuesday next and so on usually this quites them up in a hurry. A few times I have asked them what makes them think they are more important than the rest of my clients. They often don't have an answer to that either.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do mowing from Tuesdays - Friday half a day. I will only mow a few on friday and focus heavily on Thursdays to do my best clients. If I get behind I'll mow friday ones saturday and again its only half a day so I don't mind. Mondays and halfday saturdays I keep for extra jobs such as mulching, plants, etc etc.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I determine which day I mow all of my lawns on. I have a very tight route though so it's easier for me.