Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2010, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

What plants/shrubs should i use?

I'll start off by telling yall, I'm fairly new to the landscape design field I mainly just mow. I have planted leyland cypress' and stuff like that, but when it comes to someone telling you they want a low to no maintenance bed, I figured i would ask. I know that bushes will need to be trimmed, and mulch will need to be done, and the customer understands that also. Right now, it is just holly bushes along the front of his restaurant. He does not have irrigation, and it is more morning sun I think, but I'm not positive, and I know that it will depend on that probably, So maybe could yall give me options for both morning and afternoon sun? He mainly just wants to add more color to the front of the building and it is probably a 75 yard stretch along the front of the building. and one last thing, he doesnt want to spend a TON, he understands what landscaping costs, so he knows its not going to be 200 dollars, but it cant be a couple thousand.
I was thinking Mountain Laurels along the building since they do bloom out in the spring, and maybe azaleas every few feet, but I dont know how they would do without a consistent source of water.
Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

im not sure about what plants to use as i am in a completely different climactic zone.

What I would suggest is taking some hort classes at a local university or cc. Plant ID and Intro to Design would be great choices to start with.....