Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-03-2010, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Member

2 acre fields with walkbehind

Lookin at bidding some 2 acre lots in a sub, that don't have houses yet.Basicly 2 acre fields that the grass and weeds are just starting to grow in for a home association. I have a 48 exmark metro.Definately would have to switch out the blades and with a sulky going to be a bumpy ride. Is this even worth going after or will it destroy my equipment. THANKS JB
Old 05-03-2010, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's definately going to be bumpy. I've yet to encounter a multi-acre property that was smooth. The jerking and jarring around will certaintly take a toll on you if you're going wot on your wb. You could let some air out of the tires for a somewhat softer ride.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're fine. Just put it in 3rd gear and go with it. 4th might be a little fast and bumpy. I used to mow 2 acre lots with my 36 metro.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i say not worth it unless you are getting paid well. this kind of work is how i got started. i was mowing 12ft. in on road frontage. bet the s*** out of me and the mower. all kinds of crap in those areas. limbs,large rocks almost anything. walked the areas well and still hit stuff. Developers want this in cheap and fast.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i walked some pretty big lawns last year with my turf tracer, its hard work, but just snap in your ipod and get in the zone. ha im so glad im not walking any more.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast432 View Post
Lookin at bidding some 2 acre lots in a sub, that don't have houses yet.Basicly 2 acre fields that the grass and weeds are just starting to grow in for a home association. I have a 48 exmark metro.Definately would have to switch out the blades and with a sulky going to be a bumpy ride. Is this even worth going after or will it destroy my equipment. THANKS JB
As Robert said you'll have to walk it or you'll cause $1,000 worth of damage for a few hundred bucks. A fools paradise that size and condition of lot is.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know the feeling but I have gotten used to it. I have a 48"
Bradley hydro walk behind with a two wheel sulky as my main mower. You may laugh, but my largest properties I mow are 8 acres, 5 acres, and 4 acres. Yes, this is on the walk behind. I just learn the properties, learn where I can go fast, and where I must slow down. It takes me about 3 1/2 hrs. non stop to mow the 8 acre place, which is wide open. I was sore the first few rounds but I'm really used to it now. Most of my properties are so hilly that I like being able to jump off and walk it up hills, then jump back on and go. Havener has a sit down sulky for 300-400 dollars that I may look into. I have had no problems at all so far, and I mowed two of the properties all last year.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I ran a 52" walk behind as my main mower for the first couple of years with a Pro Slide. The largest property I would cut was a 7 acre school with about 5 acres of turf. Run wide open every possible chance Now with big properties (now range from 2 acres to 10.5 acres) we do 61 and 52 inch combos
Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Toro_4ME View Post
It's definately going to be bumpy. I've yet to encounter a multi-acre property that was smooth. The jerking and jarring around will certaintly take a toll on you if you're going wot on your wb. You could let some air out of the tires for a somewhat softer ride.
i mow a 2 acre house with a 52" scag walk behind witha velke. and its flatter then some of my smaller properties. and its and older established yard.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I find with Wb's time likes to start dragging as you come up on an acre,
other than that with anything 48" or bigger it's really no big deal.

So I like to take most bigger lots in 30-45 minute stretches anymore, take a short break and get back to it,
but if that doesn't work then once you start, don't stop.

Either way you're probably looking at anywhere from 1.5 to 3 hours worth of mowing.

And so long you don't have to walk it