Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

First pond!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys new to the water features. im starting a pond at my house its not big at all but want to get one under my belt. have a few questions. first off is it cheaper to do a waterless or waterfall pond? and if so is there any way i can get the materials somewhat cheap i was looking at aquascape and its like 800 bucks for the materials. like i said it is my first one and i just want to get the basics down i dont need any really expensive materials. i mostly want to get the layout down and the lanscape around it figured out. if you know any place or way to go around that expensive material let me know please!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well will you be using a liner or a umm I can't think of the name I wanna say cast but I know that isint it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You know how to dig it right? With the hose?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$800.00 is not expensive. Aquascape, Easy pro, Savio and maybe Atlantic all manufacture QUALITY products that are designed to perform particular functions without the need to Jack-leg or Jury Rig components that may or may not work properly. If this is your first Pond, your emphasis should be on correctly learning the basics of quality pond construction and the hows and whys of the biological processes that make it a dynamic functioning eco-system. Cost consideration should not be a deciding factor over quality and correctness.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
$800.00 is not expensive. Aquascape, Easy pro, Savio and maybe Atlantic all manufacture QUALITY products that are designed to perform particular functions without the need to Jack-leg or Jury Rig components that may or may not work properly. If this is your first Pond, your emphasis should be on correctly learning the basics of quality pond construction and the hows and whys of the biological processes that make it a dynamic functioning eco-system. Cost consideration should not be a deciding factor over quality and correctness.
Thanks for the advice i just wasnt sure if there was another way to go around it but i think ill go with that to learn the basics thank you
Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck and keep us informed as to your progress. Proper education in any discipline is priceless. Remember you have to learn the rules before you can learn when and how to break them!
Old 05-05-2010, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ok so get a hose and shape it the way you want your pond, next get marker paint and spray around it, but before all this, give miss dig a call her number is 811. Okay so if you've made it this far, then you need to get out the shovel, and if you like baby hands then you'll want a pair of gloves, next start digging, and then you'll want to have a low spot, and another hole in the bottom of the pond so the fish can go some where when you clean it out. Then you'll want to lay your liner down, put some stone on top and make a nice waterfall, get a pump and dig a little hole so it will look nice and design the waterfall your self.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2010, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, here is my $.02:Aquascapes is overpriced for the quality of materials you get. However, for the beginner, no one offers better training and support. I would find an Aquascape dealer and attend a build a pond day and get all of your questions answered with hands on experience. Then, buy the system from him because when you figure in the value of the support, its worth a little extra. Once you have it down pat, look at atlantic and some of the other brands. Better quality at a lower price in my opinion.
Oh yeah, and be careful not to drink the Koolaid when they pass it around.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for all the help